Orientation of CPE210 for use in repeater mode - range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-04 14:54:04 - last edited 2019-12-05 07:24:38
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have already a CPE210, installed, working OK. But there is a thick stone wall which blocks the signal at a distance of 50m.

I am researching the use of a 2nd CPE210 to overcome this problem and would like to know more about physical orientation. The pictogram in the manual proposes deployment of 3x CPE210s straightline, with the middle of the 3 - in Repeater mode - capturing a signal and re-transmitting it. However the documentation elsewhere informs us that these devices are directional about 65 degrees. So, is this really possible, and if it were to work, should the middle device look back at the 1st signal or forwards to the destination ??

If the CPE210 is not capable - perhaps someone can recommend another such model / device ?

Thanks in advance ,

Options
2 Reply
Re:Orientation of CPE210 for use in repeater mode - range extender
2019-12-05 22:11:49 - last edited 2019-12-05 22:23:00

@innocenta, you would have to align both CPE's at the edges to the one in the middle to use repeater mode over long distances.

It could probably work over only 50m distance if all three CPE210 are in a straight line, but since they have a shielding at the back of their antennas, throughput will almost certainly drop significantly in such a setup.

Anyway, I would not use repeater mode even if the CPEs on the edges are mounted so that their WiFi beam fall into the 65º angle of the middle CPE, because a) repeater mode will always reduce throughput (since received traffic needs to be send a second time) and b) the link would becomes susceptible to the Hidden Node Problem.

I rather would use two CPEs in the middle position connected to each other by a cable, so even a straight line setup is possible.

Alternatively, you could use a WBS210 with a TL-ANT2410MO omni antenna, this should also work over a distance of just 50m and it even would avoid the Hidden Node Problem. But I just learned that WBS210 is at EOL already according to TP-Link's US website and TL-ANT2410MO might be not available in every region.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Orientation of CPE210 for use in repeater mode - range extender
2019-12-08 11:17:41

@R1D2 

Thanks for this, makes sense. I need to look around for some different kit suitable for an outdoor relay - just a question of finding a solution which does the job without costing too much. There's so much available - the choice can bewilder - needs some research.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2121

Replies: 2

Related Articles