How do I extend my WIFI over 500' outdoors?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How do I extend my WIFI over 500' outdoors?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
13 Reply
Re:How do I extend my WIFI over 500' outdoors?
2020-01-08 22:10:52

@R1D2      Sorry...but I'm confused yet again. I'm unable to access the site 192.168.0.254 with the EAP plugged into my computer to configure it. Am I supposed to use the Omada App and do this on my phone or is there a way to do it on my computer. Also the EAP instructions give me two options...1. Controller Mode and 2. Standalone Mode (which is what I presume I'm to do). When trying to use the App it says "No Controllers Found". 

Trying to use the app but not sure how to "connect my phone to the EAP using the default SSID on the EAP label as it instructs so I can then add the controller and configure it.

Options
2020-01-09 00:27:21

@MarcotteMW, for only two EAPs you don't need the Omada controller, except you would need meshing sometime later.

As for EAP configuration I either use the built-in web UI of the EAP or in large installations Omada controller. AFAIK the app for smartphones can be used w/o a controller if the smartphone is connected to the EAP via WiFi, but I never tried this – I still use even smartphones only for telephony. :-)

If you want to access the web UI, connect the EAP directly to your computer, not to the network/switch/router. Set a static IP from 192.168.0.0 network (e.g. 192.168.0.5) on your laptop in Network -> TCP/IP -> Properties or whatever Windows calls this nowadays, google for »How to set up a static IP in Windows XYZ« (where XYZ is your Win version) to find a step-by-step recipe.

Once you have set the static IP, you can load the EAP's web UI under the address 192.168.0.254. Log in, change the IP setting of EAP for your network (e.g. 192.168.1.240 or whatever IP is free/unused so far) and save the settings. You will lose connection temporarily, so change back your computer's IP to the 192.168.1.0 network (e.g. 192.168.1.10), load web UI again using the newly assigned IP, login and continue to set up the WiFi. Remember to set your computer's IP settings back to what it was before (almost certainly dynamic IP using DHCP).

Now you can connect the EAP to the CPE and the CPE to the router or home network and do a test. I recommend to prepare all devices in a test setup before actually mounting them on the gates.

To test, connect to EAP110 WiFi, use ping to see whether you can reach the EAP's IP, then ping both CPE's IPs and finally ping the router's IP. If all works, you should have Internet access, too.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-01-09 01:32:41

@R1D2    Thanks again for hte quick reply and all the data. I've determined this is above my head regardless of all the information and support you've provided so I've scheduled a professional to come do this for me. I'll stick to farming! I truly appreciate all your support and patience with me! Blessings to you and your family.

Options
Related Articles