A question of durability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A question of durability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
A question of durability
A question of durability
2020-01-06 22:17:44
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just wondering--when the CPE is mounted and functioning, the only thing that is protecting the physical network connection is a plastic piece that slides up from the bottom. It doesn't seem all that tight. Anyone have problems with it falling out and exposing the connection to the elements? If so, what have you done to prevent this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:A question of durability
2020-01-06 23:47:25 - last edited 2020-01-06 23:57:28

@Byteguy,

I had no problems with a slipping cover falling down, but the plastic cover in previous HW versions of CPE was closing the cable duct somewhat tighter, sometimes too tight. However, there are two small plastic noses/locks and you should here a »click« when closing the cover. Those noses/locks should keep the cover in place.

But if you open and close the cover many times and the noses wear off, then probably a part of Butyl Rubber Tape (used for electrical isolation of outdoor connectors such as N-type or RP-SMA antenna connectors, SAT F type connectors etc.) can help to fix the cover. This tape is weatherproof and resists temperatures from -40º C to 120º C.

It's also useful to cover plugs or other electrical parts and I also use it for isolating cable ends/connectors on my motorbike. Since it is self-fusing I even used it to isolate tubes of an extractor hood. Note that the tape is not adhesive, so if you don't need it for other isolation tasks, maybe you can ask an electrician in your region to give you a tiny piece of it, they should have such tape:

What I am missing from all CPEs (510/210) is the waterproof rubber insert which is included in WBS510/210 (at least it came with early HW versions). The Butyl tape doesn't help much here, because it's too thin for the gap between the duct and the cover. Over the time I have much more tiny spiders in the duct of CPEs than in those of WBS. :-)

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:A question of durability
2020-01-07 18:04:01

@R1D2 I agree about the rubber insert. One comes with each EAP225. Was wondering why none came with the CPE units.

I'll go for the tape you suggested. The little plastic insert didn't seem to snap into place.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 487

Replies: 2