Help with proper switch configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-25 21:02:50
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0

I could use a little help from the community to make sure I have my game plan straightened out. I have a client who is a church, but in their worship center they had an ad hoc network setup by an audio visual company that manages everything. These devices don't have internet as there is no internet connection into the network, but my goal is to finally connect their network and our network to have a complete network.

Our church network is quite simple, just a flat network operating on VLAN1. The audio visual ad hoc network operates on 3 VLANS: 100, 103, and 105. Between our firewall and the ad hoc network will live two TPLink T1600G-28PS that bridge both networks together. I have added the VLANs to our firewall and the audio/visual company said they will be doing what is necessary on their end to give us a switch port to plugin to. Assuming we do everything correctly it should just work. The devices would connect like this: Firewall>TP Link Switch 1>TP Link Switch 2> Audio/Visual Switch (Aruba).

Thus far on the TPLink I have gone into L2 Features>VLAN and have created VLANS 100,103,105.  The only members of these VLANs are the the switch ports where the connection comes in and goes out. On the first switch that will be the switchport that connects to the firewall and the port that connects to the second switch. On the second switch it will be the switch ports that connect to the first switch and the audio/visual switch.

I'm probably making this too complicated, but what else should I be considering? Should I just include all switch ports on both switches in all 4 VLANS (1, 100, 103, 105)? While I am familiar with VLANS, I've mainly only dealt with Meraki and Cisco switches and their verbiage is a bit different, so I'm just wanting to double check everything with the community before I attempt this.

Appreciate anyone who can chime in!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Help with proper switch configuration
2020-01-26 10:27:33 - last edited 2020-01-26 10:28:51

@bayon, the most important questions is: what networks do the A/V devices use in VLANs 100, 103 and 105? If they use three networks you have to connect them to three network interfaces on your router. On the switch you assign the trunk port to/from the A/V networks and the trunk port to/from the router to be members of all three VLANs only. On the router you then create three interfaces to route traffic between those networks and the Internet.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-01-27 16:47:30

@R1D2 

Thanks for chiming in!

The AV devices are spread out across VLANs 100, 103 and 105 with the following gateways: 10.1.100.3, 10.1.103.3, and 10.1.105.3. I will be creating each VLAN on my firewall with the matching gateway address. My plan is to tell my firewall to allow all VLANs on the LAN port that I use to connect downstream to the TP Link switch. That's how I've setup other networks that were all Meraki, I assume it would work the same here but maybe not.

As for trunk ports, what is the process for doing a trunk port in the TP Link interface? Is it just adding the same port to each VLAN that essentially creates a trunk port?

Options
2020-01-27 17:41:21

bayon wrote

My plan is to tell my firewall to allow all VLANs on the LAN port that I use to connect downstream to the TP Link switch.

That's the correct way. You will transfer three networks over the three VLANs.

As for trunk ports, what is the process for doing a trunk port in the TP Link interface? Is it just adding the same port to each VLAN that essentially creates a trunk port?

Yes. A port which is a tagged member of more than one VLAN becomes a trunk port.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-01-27 17:46:20

@R1D2 

Awesome, I think that gets me covered. I'll circle back around when I have success or need more help!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 787

Replies: 4

Related Articles