Internet from hone to garage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-30 01:21:53 - last edited 2020-02-02 09:09:48
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello. I really need your help. 

So what I am trying to do is to have wifi internet in my garage which is about 70m far. I have 2 CPE210. I connect the one on my router in AP mode with ssid let's say abcdef and then I put the second in repeater mode on the garage and I connect it to the network abcdef and start repeating.  The crazy thing now is that the signal between the 2 CPEs is perfect.. I connect from my garage my laptop, my phone and a smart TV.  Internet is usually slow but many times I can not connect to specific websites . I am trying to go to website X but I am getting a timed out message, and the same time i am trying to go website Y and is going fast there. Also some times there is no internet at all for maybe 30 minutes and then suddenly I have access again. There are many wifis arround and is in the city, if that helps.  Thank you

Options
4 Reply
Re:Internet from hone to garage
2020-02-02 11:09:32 - last edited 2020-02-02 11:22:23

@Ecg,

CPEs are designed for directional links over very long ranges. They are not suitable for spreading a WiFi signal around as omnidirectional APs do. Reason for this is that CPEs have an antenna beam width of only 65º in one direction to concentrate RF energy, while omni antennas have a beam width of 360º, but much lower coverage.

Depending on your mounting location, you probably can use Repeater or Bridge modes of a CPE to supply standard WiFi devices (e.g. see this thread where someone claims that a CPE indeed does supply the WiFi signal to the building the CPE is mounted on, but I can not second this without exact knowledge on how the CPE is mounted and my experience in feeding standard WiFi clients using a CPE is much like yours – it's just not reliable b/c CPEs are not designed for this use case).

If you could mount the CPE so that your garage is inside its 65º angle, repeating the WiFi signal could work.

Another, much more reliable solution is to add an omnidirectional AP such as EAP225-Outdoor connected by cable to the 2nd CPE running in Client mode.

But then question is whether it would be sufficient to use only one EAP225-Outdoor mounted at the home building and avoid CPEs at all since EAP225-Outdoor can cover up to 100m and standard clients should be able to send something back over this distance, too (at least if there is a free line of sight between them). I can only guess: if your garage is a metal box, it won't work with one EAP225-Outdoor alone; if it is a wooden car port, it almost certainly will work fine if your WiFi clients have good antennas, too.

An alternative solution would be to have the 1st CPE at the home connect to an EAP225-Outdoor which then serves as a relay to other WiFi clients connected to the EAP. Since the EAP only supports AP mode, your 1st CPE needs to run in Client mode:

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-03-26 11:33:18

@R1D2  thank you for your answer. I was trying yesterday to measure the speed on the source router which is between 205 and 225 mbps. Then I connect to the network that I create from the CPE but i was on home, not in the garage, just 2 feets away from the CPE and I measure the speed again and it was 20 to 23 mbps !!!!!  Then I went in the garage and I measure the speed there and the speed was 2 to 5!!!  I am thinking to stop using CPE's at all. Any suggestions of what to buy so I can have a reliable network? I dont care to have a speed of 200mbps on the garage but It would be good if from 200mbps I had 100 or even 80 on the garage. Thank you for your time.

Options
2020-03-26 14:58:59
Options
2020-03-26 16:25:58 - last edited 2020-03-26 16:39:29

@Ecg, CPEs are for directional links, not for omnidirectional WiFi coverage. That's why I recommended to use an EAP225-Outdoor at the garage for local WLAN distribution (see first and third topologies in my previous post). With CPE510 I achieve 80 to 90 Mbps full-duplex bandwidth at ~210 Mbps WiFi b/w over a 600m link using this topology. That's the maximum goodput for a N300 AP such as the CPE.

Depending on the numbers of foreign APs using the 2.4 GHz band, bandwidth will drop significantly when using a CPE210 rather than a CPE510 on the same link. At my location, there are ~140 foreign APs in competition for AirTime with the CPE210. However, over a short distance such as between a house and a garage a directional link between two CPE210 should at least reach around 50 Mbps if the 2.4 GHz band isn't overcrowded in your area and the antennas of the CPEs are aligned to each other properly.

I do not recommend using a CPE to supply WiFi to standard client devices such as smartphones etc. Technically, this could be done, but when I'm asked to set up such a topology with standard client devices in the 2.4 GHz band, I use WBS210 with an omni antenna TL-ANT2410MO or with a sector antenna TL-ANT2415MS, not a CPE210.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1044

Replies: 4