CPE210 in repeater mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE210 in repeater mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
CPE210 in repeater mode
CPE210 in repeater mode
2020-02-06 02:40:46
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If I want to use a CPE210 in repeater mode, to go "around a corner", how do I orient the repeater? Scenario: send a signal from one point to another, when there's no line of sight between the two, but there's a third location which can "see" both the origin and the destination. So I'd have one 210 in AP mode, a remote 210 in bridge mode at the destination, and one 210 in repeater mode to "bounce" the signal around the corner to the destination. But the repeater antenna is directional... so should the repeater point at the source, or the destination, or...??

Options
3 Reply
Re:CPE210 in repeater mode
2020-02-06 13:33:37 - last edited 2020-02-06 13:37:45

@fdb, it should point to the source CPE and to the destination CPE which is possible only if both are inside the 65º angle of a CPE's antenna beam width.

However, you will run into the Hidden Node Problem (HNP) anyway if using Repeater mode. Also, Repeater mode cuts the wireless throughput by half and the HNP will further decrease throughput. Repeater mode is fine for home use, but not in professional scenarios.

Second best solution would be to operate the CPE in the middle in AP mode, not in Repeater mode. The other two CPEs at source and destination then need to run in Client mode. This setup allows to turn on MAXtream which eliminates the HNP. However, wireless throughput will still be cut in half with this solution, too.

Therefore, best solution is to use two CPE in the middle connected by a cable, one directed to the source CPE and the other directed to the destination CPE. In this topology the two CPE in the midst form a relay. No HNP, no loss of throughput.

BTW: there is an own subforum for questions related to Pharos products.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-02-06 14:13:44

@R1D2 Thanks! (Perhaps I've got this inquiry in the wrong place... maybe I should redirect it to Pharos...)

But since I have you... a bit more info?  Two CPE's in the middle is quite doable.  But how would they be configured?  The one pointing at the source would be a client (right?), cabled to the second one, which would be... an AP?  Then the forth unit, the destination, could be a bridge, so as to broadcast its own SSID? 

Options
2020-02-06 19:01:18

fdb wrote

But since I have you... a bit more info?  Two CPE's in the middle is quite doable.  But how would they be configured?  The one pointing at the source would be a client (right?), cabled to the second one, which would be... an AP?  Then the forth unit, the destination, could be a bridge, so as to broadcast its own SSID? 

It doesn't matter which on is client or AP since the WiFi role will only affect inital connection, but will not affect bi-directional communication. For every directional link one CPE must be in AP mode and one (or more) must run in Client mode.

Why would you want to run the destination in Bridge (Repeater) mode? CPEs are not well suited for supplying a WLAN to standard clients; they are designed for directional WiFi links over very long distances.

If you want to supply a remote destination with WLAN, consider using an AP with omnidirectional 360º coverage (e.g. EAP110-Outdoor or EAP225-Outdoor). In such a topology the CPEs are used as the wireless backhaul and the EAPs are used local distribution.

If you can live with a small beam width of only 65º coverage of a CPE, you could use Bridge mode. But as I wrote already, this is no professional setup. You will run into Hidden Node Problem and loss of throughput. In my opinion a repeater causes much more troubles than what's worth the savings by combining two different use cases into one device only (and I have lot of bad experience with repeaters in business areas).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3025

Replies: 3