TP-Link CPE210 navigation problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-11 15:02:56 - last edited 2020-02-12 08:42:44
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 3.2

Hi everyone, 

I recently bought a CPE210 for extending my Wi-Fi in the yard behind my house. I have the following problem: The cellphone logs onto the extended network quite esaily, I have maxiumum signal strenght, but when it comes to navigate it's extremely slow or even completely stuck. I checked everything, reset the AP and tried different orientation of the antenna... the result is always the same: very good signal, internet speed awful or stopped at all.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-Link CPE210 navigation problem
2020-02-12 11:33:30 - last edited 2020-02-12 11:40:18

@Gighen, CPEs are designed for directional links over long ranges. The have a small antenna beam width (CPE210: 65º) to concentrate RF energy in one direction. Thus, they are great for wireless links between two CPEs, but they don't always perform well with standard consumer devices. Technically, you can use them to supply WiFi to standard clients, but you have to consider certain environmental parameters as well as the CPE's coverage.

Phones, tablets and laptops have much weaker antennas, but they need to send data back to the CPE, too.

So if either the distance between the client and the CPE is too large for the client's antennas or if the current location of the client falls outside of the CPE's 65º beam width angle, it will lead to undesired effects: the SSID can be received by your phone, a connection might be possible, but exchange of data is cumbersome or even not possible at all.

Don't give too much to the phone's maximum signal strength indicator: it also shows best signal quality when the client and the CPE could negotiate to a WiFi rate of only 1 Mbps which is not very suitable for loading today's web sites.

What are the dimensions of the area you want to cover with WiFi (length x width in meters)?

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-02-12 12:11:06

@R1D2 thanks for the answer.

The area to cover is not that big, let's say 10 meters in lenght and ten in witdh. 

I usually stay close to the antenna, but I guess I'm at the very edge of the 65°, since it's oriented about 45° in the other way (to reach the biggest part of the yard).

I'm attaching an image, to help you understand my problem:

I cannot turn the antenna further to my position, or I'll lose the connection with the right part of the yard, which is more important, but I wanted to cover also the position I'm pointing myself, since the in house AP doesn't cover that area. I guess I'll have to use another repeater... :(

Do you have any other idea?

Options
2020-02-12 12:55:38 - last edited 2020-02-12 13:02:03

@Gighen, so you use Repeater or Bridge opertion mode on the CPE to pick up the main AP's signal in the house? If so, this will lead to even more problems.

As for the coverage of your yard, let's do some math: distance D for the CPE to cover 10m width W with antenna beam width angle α is D = W / tan(α), thus we can estimate the distance of the CPE as D = 10m / tan(65º) = ~4.66m. Thus, the area of 10m is reached from the minimum distance of 4.66m between a client and the CPE. Half of your yard isn't covered in full width.

Next problem is the house. For directional links you need fresnel zone clearance (or to put it simply: free line of sight). This is very important for directional RF signals and it also applies to the link between the CPE and the main AP in your house if you use Repeater or Bridge mode.

A much better solution to cover the yard is an omnidirectional (360º) AP such as EAP225-Outdoor. You should mount it at the top right corner of your house to cover the yard (and also part of the house). The EAP can easily cover 10m x 10m reliably.

But you will need to connect the EAP to your indoor router using a cable. EAPs don't offer repeater modes, they are just access points (AP mode in CPE terminology).

Options
2020-02-12 15:20:21

@R1D2 thanks for your explanation and help!

I came to the same conclusion, I need an omnidirectional AP. I just ordered it on Amazon, a TP-LINK EAP110 (the one you suggested was too expensive, but for my needs, the EAP110 should be fine, based on the specification).

I just need to cover at the same time the gate of the yard (that can be opened via Wi-Fi, but 2.4GHz only) that is positioned roughly above the D of YARD in the drawing and the ME position inside the house... the rest of the house has internal repeaters and it's OK. I'll remove the antenna and put the new AP there. LAN cable already in place.

I'll let you know if this solves...

Thanks again!

Options
2020-02-12 16:57:00

@Gighen, you're welcome. Yes EAP110-Outdoor is a good device, too.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 925

Replies: 5