Networking and security at a remote location

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-08 22:57:49

I am handy, but not a networking expert - I apologize in advance if I did not explain the use case properly.

I am trying to get networking and IP security cameras installed at my remote cabin. The network is simple, but needs to be remotely managed, easily. The only thing that is in place now is the Telus Smart Hub (3G cellular modem).

The outdoor WAP needs to go about 100 meters from the cabin. The location gets to about -30 in the winter. There will be less than 20 devices (mostly IP cameras) connected. The connection will be from internet to 3G cellular modem (max 25MB). Because of the slow, unreliable, and expensive cellular modem bandwidth, I will need to have local storage of the continuous video feeds, and snippets sent out as alerts when motion is captured in defined areas.

As the location is remote, and the internet access is slow and unreliable (3G cellular modem, 25MB max), I will need the ability to store data locally, and access it remotely. Based on the following calculation (Storage Space (GB) = Bitrate (Kbps) * 1000/8 * 3600 * 24 * Cameras * Days), with 14 cameras, I would need 9.3 TB to have a rotating 2 month storage. 

I have a clean slate to work from. I had been looking at the following from Ubiquity:

USG3

UniFi® Security Gateway

USW-16-POE

Switch

UAP-AC-M

Unifi Outdoor Access Point

The Ubiquity solution falls down as the UCK-G2-PLUS cloud key controller, has a 2.5" HD with a maximum size of 5 TB.

I have heard good things about TP-Link. Do they offer a solution that would meet this use case?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

Options
1 Reply
Re:Networking and security at a remote location
2020-03-12 03:50:17

@dab123 

This is not a complicate network, you can based on the ubiquity toppology, change the devices to TP-Link.

Router: ER6120

Swtich: T1600G-28PS

AP: EAP225-outdoor

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 502

Replies: 1

Related Articles