Help choosing TP Link equipment for VOIP solution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-11 21:21:53

Hi,

Wondering if you can help me. I have a home office and need to run a VOIP telephone in a room which does not have (and cannot have) wired ethernet but has a strong wifi signal (in case relevant the phone is an Avaya 9608g). The VOIP phone requires 48v Power over Ethernet (i.e. 802.3af standard). I am trying to find the right combination of TP-Link problems to create a solution - I don't think there is an all-in-one Ethernet/wifi bridge which provides 802.3af PoE.

Would the following setup work: the RE360 range extender connected to the TL-SG1005P PoE switch? Or any other suggested solutions?

Many thanks,

David

Options
7 Reply
Re:Help choosing TP Link equipment for VOIP solution
2020-03-12 02:37:00

@dwm 

As you said, did not find the Ethernet/wifi bridge which provides 802.3af PoE. You solution should be OK. RE360 range extender connected to the TL-SG1005P PoE switch, and switch power your IP Phone.

Options
2020-04-23 15:53:08

@Andone Question on the RE360.... it has a ethernet port too...can you run a cable back to the switch and use it hardwired too??  I am not a huge fan of trying to uplink or mesh over wifi because of throughput loss compared to wired.

Thanks!

Options
2020-04-24 07:34:10

@Doc2485 

It seems that RE360 support access point mode and range extender mode. In the management web-GUI you can see a "mode" button.

I think you need the access point mode, the Ethernet port connected to the switch as the uplink port, then provide wireless connection for your phone.

Options
2020-04-24 16:48:48

@Andone So what is the ethernet port on the RE360 for?

Options
2020-04-24 17:16:15

@Doc2485 

Hi,

I bought this after posting the question above. You can connect a switch to it with Ethernet and connect computers/VOIP phones etc to the switch by Ethernet. The switch connects to the internet through the RE360. At the same time the RE360 boosts the WiFi signal for WiFi devices.

Its a great device, very stable and easy to configure. It does exactly what I need.

Happy to answer any more questions.

David

Options
2020-04-24 17:31:23

@dwm Thank you very much!!!  I am just getting started on TPLink hardware.  I have been selling and installing Ubitiqi for years....but done with them.  Wayyyyyy to many issues, no support at all.

I just bought the OC200 and EA245 and seems very similar to Ubitiqi for setup.  I have there POE switches for now. 

What router are using?  Most of all my clients are businesses and some residential.  All small to medium size businesses.

Options
2020-04-27 09:25:50

Thank you, I was looking for a perfect solution

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1947

Replies: 7