Point to Point link with no line of sight?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-22 06:29:10
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA7510N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi guys,
Please could anyone give me some advice with an installation I'm doing at the moment.

I need to supply internet access from a main office to outside building about 300 meters away.

I was told that there is a clear line of site so I purchased two TP link TL-wa7510n AP's.

When I got to the site I soon found out that there is not a clear line of sight as the main office is onto of a hill & the outside building is way below it.
The best way to describe it is with this image (that looks like my 5 year old done)

The only way I could get it to work is if the AP on the outside buiding was 8 meters off the floor, as when I stood on the roof holding a 2 meter pole I could quite a good signal. I'm sure I had both set up in stanard ap mode
This cant be a permanent as the winds get so bad on this site it would last a few weeks.

Is there any thing I could install at a half way point and how would I set it up?
Or I dont mind getting different equipment to get this to work.

Many thanks.
File:
Wifi.jpgDownload
Options
8 Reply
Re:Point to Point link with no line of sight?
2013-01-22 09:34:44
the built-in antenna of the WA7510N is a Directional Antenna. have you tried to put the AP like this "/ "?
Options
2013-01-23 02:54:23
Many thanks for taking time to reply.

Yes I pointed it down on angle but still no good, as the other TL-WA7510N had to be so high.

The drawing might not do it justice, the out site buiding is a lot lower down
Options
2013-01-26 12:01:21
Have u tried to add an external 5Ghz omnidirectional antenna on client AP
Options
2013-01-26 19:41:15
Thanks for taking time to reply to this post danymarc.

I can't seem to find 5Ghz omnidirectional antenna only 5Ghz directional & 2.4GHz omnidirectional on the net ?

Do you think i might be worth trying the following products ?
2.4GHz High Power Wireless Outdoor CPE TL-WA5210G
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=216&model=TL-WA5210G

With the following
2.4GHz 15dBi Outdoor Omni-directional Antenna TL-ANT2415D
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=2474&model=TL-ANT2415D

If so would i put the same set up on the outside buiding?
Options
2013-01-26 23:50:08
Tp.Link does not have 5Ghz ómni antennas for the moment
Try http://XXX.irishwireless.net/5ghz-12dbi-v-pol-omnidirectional-antenna#.UQNU4mt5mK0
just change the X for ws
about 5210 its the same the only dif its with the one u have, ur in the 5ghz band, and that band is not busy and noisy as the 2Ghz,, u might encouter other issues.
Options
2013-01-27 17:34:02
Many thanks again for this danymarc.
TP link support has also got back to me.
I think what might best is to install a TP link TL-wa7510n with a 5Ghz ómni antennas in the middle and the half way point.

Then at the bottom install a another 5GHz omi antenna on to the TP link TL-wa7510n, as I think it would ok to install a antenna higher up than a AP.

Some thing like this

Also what modes would I set each AP to?

Many thanks again
Options
2013-01-27 21:30:54
Modes depend on cable connection or wireless connection to link your three devices. If you don't mind, try TL-WA5210G 1 access point mode, TL-WA5210G 2 client mode, and TL-WA5210G 3 access point mode.
Options
2013-01-28 00:01:14
On #1 u posted
The only way I could get it to work is if the AP on the outside buiding was 8 meters off the floor, as when I stood on the roof holding a 2 meter pole I could quite a good signal. I'm sure I had both set up in stanard ap mode
This cant be a permanent as the winds get so bad on this site it would last a few weeks.
With the right tower i would go for 2 radios, supplying power to ur second CPE will be and issue, and monitoring 3 CPEs would be another one.
about config modes sorry no idea have only done 2
About using other modes than Universal Repeater read post #6 here http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?1959-Planning-an-5GHz-Infrstraucture&region=china
Options