MAC address learning on PoE switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-26 15:42:35
Model: TL-SG1016PE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20190118 Rel.32996

Hello,

I have a weird problem with my simple setup. My physical setup is:

ISP-->Router (DHCP)-->Switch-->Devices

Config is pretty basic:

• Router: 192.168.14.1 (TP-LINK R600VPN)
  • Switch: 192.168.14.7 (TP-LINK SG1016PE)
  • DHCP: 192.168.14.100 ... 200
  • switch ports used: [9-10,15-16]

Router is connected to port 16 of the switch. There is a VLAN on port [15-16], and anotther VLAN on [1-14,16], with bandwidth control on port 15.

A few weeks ago, I installed 2 wall jack in the living room which I connected to ports 7 and 8. Tested everything, no issue on both plugs. I connected my TV to port 8 and left port 7 unused.

then a few days later, I installed my xbox and plugged it in the other wall jack (connected to port 7), but couldn't get an IP! Tested the port with my laptop and can't ping anything. I get the "General failure" when trying to ping anything.

Then tested connecting my laptop directly to another unused port of my switch, still not working. It's working if I plug directly to the router.

After checking the product information of my switch, it states there is MAC address learning, which could be the issue, but I can't seem to find anything about this in the user manual or the web management interface.

I hope some experts here will be able to help me!

Thank you

Options
6 Reply
Re:MAC address learning on PoE switch
2020-04-29 02:55:55

@remz 

Did you save the picture for "MAC address learning" statement? Maybe you can post the picture.

As I knew, TL-SG1016PE doesn't support to show the MAC address table. So maybe we need to get the information from the statement you mentioned.

Options
2020-04-29 21:21:54

@Andone

Hello,

fortunately I have kept the box :) Here is the picture, see the switching features section.

Thanks

Options
2020-04-30 08:18:35

@remz 

I thought you got the message from the management web, but not so. 

Your switch should support MAC adderss learning and this function should not cause the problem. 

When the problem happens again, maybe you can try to set static IP address for your clients and check if it can access the internet or other devices.

Options
2020-05-08 07:01:51

@remz 

Seems very similar to the issue I had on the same switch https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/205818

Options
2020-05-08 11:18:43 - last edited 2020-05-11 21:50:38

remz wrote

After checking the product information of my switch, it states there is MAC address learning, which could be the issue

Switches learn MAC addresses so that they can decide which port to send the packet to by looking up the MAC destination address.

This is no special feature; every switch does this. If a switch does not learn MAC addresses, it's rather a hub, not a switch.

But not every switch supports the display of its MAC learning table as Andone wrote.

MAC/port relationships expire over time and if you disconnect a device, the corresponding MAC addresses are deleted automatically.

I'm sure that MAC address learning is not the cause of the malfunction you experienced. To me, it rather sounds as a DHCP or a VLAN issue or an IP conflict.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-05-11 20:11:57

@phil_rv Thanks, indeed looks like a very similar problem, as doing a factory reset does solve my problem for a few days.

Yesterday when I booted my computer, I was unable to get an IP, no matter the port I tried on the switch. It's been connected to the same port which has worked no issue since the last factory reset (a few weeks ago)

I didn't have time to investigate, I just plugged it directly in the router and got IP right away. I will plug it back in the switch tonight before powering up my computer and see if the issue magically disappeared.

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2271

Replies: 6