What the best way to connect powerline adapters and deco kit.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-15 17:33:43 - last edited 2020-05-15 18:56:31
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 build 20190917 rel.76172

I have a Sky Hub Router which is in the office as this is the location of the master telephone socket. The router has an ethernet cable plugged into an AV500 Powerline Adaptor with pass through (TP-PA451) the other paired power adapter is in the living room about 25 meters away. This other adapter had an ethernet cable which fed an old DLink wireless router that I configured as an access point. I have another pair of powerline adaptors (TP-PA4020P) which are each paired to the one in the office. One is in a bedroom on the upper floor about 35m from office. This two has an old router configured as an access point. The last powerline adapter is in a garden shed connected to a switch which connects a PC and printer.

This setup has worked fine for 4 years but one of the old routers is now playing up. Requires regular reboots. Also it's a bit of a pain when moving about the house having to change which access point to connect to. Some devices will automatically disconnect and connect to a stronger signal other do not. 

We are a big techy family and have some 60+ wireless devices already.

I've purchased a pack of 3 Deco M4s and would like to understand the best way to network these around the house.... The shed section is fine as it is. I would like to do it in such a way that we have one SSID for the whole house if possible. Also the main reason for the powerline adapters is that the main Sky router was located at the far end of the house. I think I would still need to use them with the Deco units.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Below is a rough representation of my current setup

Options
3 Reply
Re:What the best way to connect powerline adapters and deco kit.
2020-05-15 23:59:58

@Mych Hi!  If you want this done the best way.... I would run etherent cables to each location..... way too much loss and disconnects with powerline adapters.  I would install EAP245's in each location for your WIFI AP's.  I have network experience of 30 years and this is how I setup networks for clients, etc.  The mesh is wayyyyyyyyyy to much date loss and again alot of drops.  You wire the AP's and they give you 100% and solid.

Modem>>>router>>> switches>>>AP's

Options
2020-05-16 08:31:59 - last edited 2020-05-16 08:33:02

@Doc2485, Thank for the suggestion. Unfortunately I live in an old 1785 grade II listed building and ripping up floorboards etc is not something I would like to do so hence the Deco units. My question was what is the best way to set up the equipment I have bought. Thanks.

Options
2020-05-16 14:17:42

@Mych, maybe in the Deco SOHO forum you can get better help for issues with Deco products. This is the SMB forum for Pharos Wireless Broadband.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1624

Replies: 3

Related Articles