CPE210 Connectivity to EAP110 to our C/Parks free WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-31 11:14:24
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi, am trying to set up an outdoor CPE210 to connect to available free wi-Fi and have it set up on the roof in direct line of sight to the main one on the Park's office roof.

(There is a repeater near us, but it is the furtherest one of 3 from the office and the signal is too weak to run Netflix, hence the new setup required)

I have tried setting it up as "Access Point" and "Client" but when I connected the EAP110 to it, via the cable in the LAN port, it doesn't light up.

I have also tried "Repeater" but I got the "failed" message.

I have reset the CPE210 in between each setup.  Each time I try to set it up i am using the parks wifi on my laptop and I have had extreme trouble even getting the 192.168.0.254

to open so I can log in.

This is what I have done each time: Disconnected the wireless card and connected the laptop via ethernet cable to the LAN port on the POE adapter which is plugged into power and has the CPE connected to the POE outlet in the adapter via CAT5 cable.

Each time i complete a setup i remove the cable from the laptop and connect it to the EAP110 but it doesnt light up.

I'm going around in circles and would really appreciate some detailed help please. Like, as in blonde's language.

Many thanks in advance smiley

Options
3 Reply
Re:CPE210 Connectivity to EAP110 to our C/Parks free WiFi
2020-05-31 12:53:21

@Newbie2 Hi!  I do not think the radio has a 24V Passive PoE through??? You will have to use a POE injector or POE switch to power the AP.  On all Unifi models that do not for sure.  I am testing the TPlink brand right now so havent got any of their radios yet...just AP's and OC200. 

Options
2020-06-01 10:03:22

Newbie2 wrote

Hi, am trying to set up an outdoor CPE210 to connect to available free wi-Fi and have it set up on the roof in direct line of sight to the main one on the Park's office roof.

(There is a repeater near us, but it is the furtherest one of 3 from the office and the signal is too weak to run Netflix, hence the new setup required)

I have tried setting it up as "Access Point" and "Client" but when I connected the EAP110 to it, via the cable in the LAN port, it doesn't light up.

I have also tried "Repeater" but I got the "failed" message.

The correct operation mode for CPE210 would be »Client« mode.

But, most important: what AP(s) is (are) used at the Park's office? Omnidirectional? If they need to use repeater, then it's because of a weak signal over the given distance to you RV, right?

And this is the problem: APs for public WLAN hotspots use omnidirectional APs usually. This means their coverage is very limited. A CPE has no problem with a long range, but the Park's AP does have a problem to send anything back to the CPE.

BTW: repeaters should never be used for public hotspots, they introduce more problems than what can be achieved. Repeaters are toys for a home WLAN where they work inside a limited area.

The question is: how strong is the signal back from the Park's office to the CPE? (See the CPE's »Status« page for the RSSI of the Park's AP after connection).

If the signal is strong enough for the CPE, it could theoretically work.

Next is the EAP110. Older CPE hardware versions (v1.x) had PoE pass-through. If your CPE has both, a LAN0 (PoE in) and LAN1 interface, you can power an EAP110 using passive PoE (24 volts) passed through the CPE (you need to enable PoE pass-through). If your CPE has only a LAN0 interface, you cannot power an EAP110 using a CPE.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-06-01 13:46:18

@R1D2 

Thank you for your detailed reply. I’ll check the things you have mentioned, tomorrow, and see what I can find out. Much appreciated :-)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1177

Replies: 3