Confirming 24 port switch failure after 15 months?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-23 11:34:21
Model: TL-SG1024D  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We have a TP-Link TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch installed on our house, it's 15 months old. 

The green light is showing on the switch.

We've had no ethernet for the last few days and with us WFH this is a disaster :-(

WiFi is working and reception is grand in the kitchen but with all the concrete in our house we need Ethernet for the rooms we work in.

After testing other parts of the network including swapping out cables  from the router to the switch and swapping out a matching fibre broadband router, I've come to the conclusion that the switch must have failed.

My router has 4 LAN ports, I typically have LAN1 connected to port #1 on the switch. If I connect any LAN port on the router to any port on the switch the corresponding LAN light does not show on either of the routers I tried. So, I think I can conclude that there is an issue with the switch....

Any advice to 100% confirm my analysis would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Confirming 24 port switch failure after 15 months?
2020-06-24 02:17:11

@boardtc 

You can do the test to confirm the problem.

1. Connect your PC to the router directly to confirm whether your router can work normally.

2. Connect two PC to the switch directly then use two PC to ping each other, to confirm whether the switch is broken. May need to set static IP address for two PC. If they cannot ping each other, you should replace a new switch.

Options
Re:Confirming 24 port switch failure after 15 months? - what lights should show?
2020-06-26 11:15:28 - last edited 2020-06-26 12:28:23

@Andone 

1. New router installed yesterday. Cat 6 wired Ethernet connection straight to laptop from back of router works 100% 

2. Cat 6 connection running from Eth1 port to port #1 on switch.

3. Cat 6 cable running from switch to laptop. Windows 10 network status: "Not connected. You are not connnected to any networks" I guess this is not enough to confirm it's dead, we need to make a loop with another machine from what you say. But, I'm not sure how to set static ip when there's no network adaptor as no connection is seen?

This is pretty new and has taken little traffic, with only 4 ports in use typically. Is it unusual to have failed? 

I want to confirm fauilure before sourcing replacement. Have I just got unlucky and would you replace like for like? That said on Amazon, where I bought it says "Lifetime Warranty"!!

Should any lights show uncder the numbers on the left hand side if I connect 2 ports on the switch with a patch? I never noticed before if they should show if ports are in use?

Options
Re:Confirming 24 port switch failure after 15 months? - what lights should show?
2020-06-26 16:24:34

The key was that no lights were showing when LAN ports were connected. No other tests needed.

It's a lifetime warranty.

After about an hour with TP-link chat support they agreed to replace.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2742

Replies: 3

Related Articles