2x CPE510 Wifi Connection Download Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-27 05:13:46 - last edited 2020-06-27 10:49:17
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.11

Hey Guys,

i have an enviroment with two CPE510 to connect two Buildings togheter. 

One CPE510 is configured as Access Point, the other one as Client. (MAX Stream ON)

Wifi Signal Client is good:

Build In Speedtest is good (the values are stable over days..):

But if i make a simple Internet Speedtest with a Laptop connected with cable to the Client AP i get 40 Mbit Upload Speed (thats absolutely ok!) but only 6 to 7 Mbit download (ISP Provides 50 Mbit - in test scenario only the Testlaptop was connected to the Internet ;-)).

Anybody an Idea why everything is looking fine but only the download speed is such slow? Can the Enviroment between the two CPE´s cause such behaviors?

Thank you 

B3rni

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:2x CPE510 Wifi Connection Download Speed-Solution
2020-06-27 09:07:22 - last edited 2020-06-27 10:49:17

B3rni wrote

Can the Enviroment between the two CPE´s cause such behaviors?

No. Throughput (or rather goodput) of the wireless link looks pretty good, except that you probably can boost it by turning MAXtream off. MAXtream TDMA is useless on a PtP link. Also make sure to select 802.11n-only mode, 40 MHz channel width and a correct Distance setting (set to either »Auto« or to the real distance + 0.1km). I guess you have already aligned the CPE's antennas to each other, but it might be worth to check again using the Antenna Alignment tool.

To test pure Ethernet goodput, use iperf running on a server in the local network of building 1 and a laptop in building 2. The built-in test of the CPEs uses iperf, too, but only measures wireless goodput. See https://iperf.fr/.

As for low throughputs to/from an Internet server this can have many causes such as network load, server load, routing issues, unreliable test methods at the test site etc. I don't trust such »speed« tests (which are in fact tests of throughput at a given bandwidth; speed of electrical signals is always the same, a physical constant). Thus, to test the throughput you can achieve over an Internet uplink for a given service (file downloads/uploads, web surfing, VoIP etc.) just use the service to measure its throughput.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:2x CPE510 Wifi Connection Download Speed-Solution
2020-06-27 09:07:22 - last edited 2020-06-27 10:49:17

B3rni wrote

Can the Enviroment between the two CPE´s cause such behaviors?

No. Throughput (or rather goodput) of the wireless link looks pretty good, except that you probably can boost it by turning MAXtream off. MAXtream TDMA is useless on a PtP link. Also make sure to select 802.11n-only mode, 40 MHz channel width and a correct Distance setting (set to either »Auto« or to the real distance + 0.1km). I guess you have already aligned the CPE's antennas to each other, but it might be worth to check again using the Antenna Alignment tool.

To test pure Ethernet goodput, use iperf running on a server in the local network of building 1 and a laptop in building 2. The built-in test of the CPEs uses iperf, too, but only measures wireless goodput. See https://iperf.fr/.

As for low throughputs to/from an Internet server this can have many causes such as network load, server load, routing issues, unreliable test methods at the test site etc. I don't trust such »speed« tests (which are in fact tests of throughput at a given bandwidth; speed of electrical signals is always the same, a physical constant). Thus, to test the throughput you can achieve over an Internet uplink for a given service (file downloads/uploads, web surfing, VoIP etc.) just use the service to measure its throughput.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:2x CPE510 Wifi Connection Download Speed
2020-06-27 10:48:49

@R1D2 

Thank you very much for your help!

The recommendet setting helped me to increase the Speed. I cannot say if it was the "N only Mode" or "MaxStream off" but one of these 2 Setting helped! 

iPerf measures now 45MBit Download and 80MBit. not synchronous but much more than before :-) 

Greets B3rni

Options
Re:2x CPE510 Wifi Connection Download Speed
2020-06-27 11:10:09

B3rni wrote

iPerf measures now 45MBit Download and 80MBit. not synchronous but much more than before :-)

Glad it helped.

Asynchronous throughputs can be caused by interferences affecting only one CPE, e.g. if the local or remote CPE receives more signals from nearby (foreign) APs than the other CPE. To give you an example for comparison, the following shows results with built-in iperf on one of my PtP links (antenna alignment not optimized, it was just a quick test).

Bidirectional throughput:

With MAXtream TDMA enabled:

Unidirectional Tx throughput:

Unidirectional Rx throughput:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1087

Replies: 3