CPE 510 with 3rd Part WISP Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-03 07:51:39
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20151102 Rel.38320

Is it possible to connect CPE 510 (AP Mode) with 3rd party Access Point in WISP Mode?

I am using this scenario, in which CPE 510 is configured in AP mode and as connected with Internet gateway over LAN. On remote side is Netgear WISP device and entered the same WiFi Paramters, but it doesn't associate with CPE 510. 

For the sake of testing i had even disabled the security key, and left open but in both scenario I am unsuccesful to achieve this scenario.

Please guide me if I can acheive this target.

Thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:CPE 510 with 3rd Part WISP Router
2020-08-03 14:22:12

@Cellcom, please provide more information.

What kind of antennas has the »Netgear WISP device«? Directional antennas as the CPE510 has or omnidirectional antennas typical WiFi routers have?

And what's the distance between the two devices?

Also, »AP« mode for the CPE510 is wrong if your »Netgear WISP device« operates in AP mode already.

You would use »AP Client Router« mode for a CPE510 connecting wirelessly to a WISP base station, routing a private LAN to the WAN, providing firewalling and DHCP services etc.:

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-08-04 20:41:56

@R1D2 

Thanks for response. 

The netgear device is builtin omni directional antennas and distance for the bench testing is a few meter in the range of Cpe 510.

Further the scenario you refer in diagram is reverse in my case i.e. I am trying to make CPE 510 as WISP base station hence in AP mode and netgear as client so, already in WISP client mode. 

In Netgear site survey, I can see the signals of good strength but not associating with CPE 510.

Options
2020-08-04 22:52:47

@Cellcom, usually you have to ensure a minimum distance of about 10m for a CPE with free line of sight if used with standard clients with omni antennas. You could also try to reduce the Tx power of the CPE. Anyway, the range will be very limited for a device using omni antennas, it will be between 10m and 100m only.

Options
2020-08-05 06:55:30

@R1D2 

Thanks Again.

Yes, I had minimised the TX Power at 1 dBm, as you can see in the attached snaps.

As long as LOS is concerned, the WISP client i.e. Netgear Site Survey clearly show the recieving signals' strength, but does'nt associate even then.

Please ignore the PSK Key, as I made both sides open for the sake of simplicity.

File:
Config Snaps.docxDownload
Options
2020-08-05 10:46:39

Cellcom wrote

As long as LOS is concerned, the WISP client i.e. Netgear Site Survey clearly show the recieving signals' strength

This means nothing. You can see the CPE's SSID on standard home APs over a distance as large as 600m, but you won't be able to connect the AP to the CPE over such a distance since the AP can't send anything back to the CPE.

CPEs are designed for PtP links between two CPEs over a distance of some kilometers. Their beam is very narrow to achieve a high RF energy over such distances.

You can imagine it like a lighthouse: a lighthouse focuses its light to guide the way for distant ships. A CPE does the same with its WiFi signal. Thus the name »Pharos«, b/c »Pharos of Alexandria« was the world's first lighthouse in history.

With an omnidirectional AP you are on a ship which has a standard light bulb that illuminates the surrounding area of a few meters only, but now all around (360º), not in a certain direction. You can easily see the much brighter (bundled) light signal from the lighhouse on your ship over big distances.

And now imagine the distance your ship must have to the lighthouse for the lighthouse keeper to see the weak light of your light bulb. If you are too close, he will see only the lighthouse's own bright light overloading the weak light bulb. If you are too far away, he won't see your light bulb either, b/c it's much to weak to see its light over a long distance.

This, a lighthouse and a light bulb, is the situation with mixing a CPE with directional antennas and a device withomnidirectional antennas. It might work over a short (but not too short!) distance, but in general it's a very bad idea to use standard APs with a CPE.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 742

Replies: 5

Related Articles