Easy Smart Switch TL-SG10'5/8'E, Fallback IP Change / Attach Dynamically

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-04 07:07:14
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20191021 Rel.53360

Hello Dear.

I have some question about Easy Smart Switch product, specially TL-SG108E. I just already bought it, and I connect this switch to Mikrotik Router.

This my topology

As seen on the image, there are 3 subnets on my Mikrotik router, and another device like my laptop and my access point EAP110 is connected to the switch, then the switch is connected to Mikrotik. 

My question is, about Fallback IP on the switch IP Setting, why this switch dynamically attach their self into different subnet each time the lease is re-lease?

I try to disable this IP setting and manually assign IP address on it, 192.168.88.250, but after a few times on re-lease state, the status previously bound then changed to waiting? why? 
If I set the DHCP to enable, the switch get the different IP address on the different subnet and dynamically change after release state. 
I have been making static on this switch on Mikrotik DHCP lease settings, but it does not help, because if I want to go to admin GUI, I should find the IP first -_-

Thank you, I'm so glad for the reply & suggestions :)

Options
5 Reply
Re:Easy Smart Switch TL-SG10'5/8'E, Fallback IP Change / Attach Dynamically
2020-09-04 12:26:16 - last edited 2020-09-04 12:29:19

Bagusa4 wrote

My question is, about Fallback IP on the switch IP Setting, why this switch dynamically attach their self into different subnet each time the lease is re-lease?

Because Easy Smart Switches such as TL-SG108E don't have a Management VLAN setting and thus the switch itself appears in all VLANs.

In my opinion DHCP should never be used for stationary (non-moving) devices, except if you want to enforce a MAC/IP mapping in the DHCP server for some reason. Thus, always define a static IP for stationary devices, either in the device itself or through a MAC/IP mapping in the DHCP server.

Note that even a static IP does not prevent access to the switch's web UI out of any VLAN, e.g. if a client device in a different VLAN uses a static IP from the same network, too.

I try to disable this IP setting and manually assign IP address on it, 192.168.88.250, but after a few times on re-lease state, the status previously bound then changed to waiting? why?

Probably b/c the router reserves the lease for the switch over a certain time-span or until the DHCP address pool becomes exhausted?

The Mikrotik documentation should give a definitive answer to this question. A reboot of the router probably will do so, too.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-09-05 01:39:52 - last edited 2020-09-05 01:40:34

@R1D2 Thank you for your reply :)

R1D2 wrote

Bagusa4 wrote

Because Easy Smart Switches such as TL-SG108E don't have a Management VLAN setting and thus the switch itself appears in all VLANs.

May I ask why TL-SG108E doesn't have a Management VLAN? Then what is VLAN tab setting on the web admin?

R1D2 wrote

In my opinion DHCP should never be used for stationary (non-moving) devices, except if you want to enforce a MAC/IP mapping in the DHCP server for some reason. Thus, always define a static IP for stationary devices, either in the device itself or through a MAC/IP mapping in the DHCP server.

What kind of non-moving device? If I did not use DHCP for assign IP, which method should I used to mapping the device to the network?

I try to enforce this switch to get a specific IP address from DHCP server but this switch always wants another IP address. I try static IP for example 192.168.88.250 on subnet1 192.168.88.1/24 belong to VLAN1/native/default, with the MAC Address of the switch, then I enable the DHCP setting on the switch, then the switch gets IP from subnet2 192.168.86.1/24 this belong to VLAN42. Why ? :)

I try on the switch settings disable DHCP and then manually assign IP on it, 192.168.88.250, then the switch doesn't exist on the Lease list on the DHCP server, then the static option that I made before changing the status to waiting.

I try this static method on eap device then the eap get IP as what I want 192.168.88.248 and never attach to another subnet, but still carry vlan42 & vlan44. 

R1D2 wrote

Note that even a static IP does not prevent access to the switch's web UI out of any VLAN, e.g. if a client device in a different VLAN uses a static IP from the same network, too.

I try my phone to connect on subnet 3 or vlan44, then access in the web browser with IP from which assign to switch in this situation on subnet2 or vlan42, but I can't get the connection or the web admin doesn't show up.

R1D2 wrote

Probably b/c the router reserves the lease for the switch over a certain time-span or until the DHCP address pool becomes exhausted?

The Mikrotik documentation should give a definitive answer to this question. A reboot of the router probably will do so, too.

I find this why the status lease always waiting on the static IP, on the forum says its because the DHCP server doesn't get a request for the particular lease. Then I assume the switch does not make request lease/reserve IP from DHCP server? 

"Probably b/c the router reserves the lease for the switch over a certain time-span or until the DHCP address pool becomes exhausted?"  The status change from bound to waiting after over a certain time-span there is on "Expires After" tab.

forum reference https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=144378#p710952

I hope there will be a shiny way :)

Options
2020-09-05 09:35:00 - last edited 2020-09-05 09:40:33

Bagusa4 wrote

May I ask why TL-SG108E doesn't have a Management VLAN? Then what is VLAN tab setting on the web admin?

You confuse VLANs and a Management VLAN setting.

An Easy Smart Switch has no Management VLAN setting b/c it's a cheap Easy Smart Switch for people who want to explore the world of managed switches.

It's the same reason why a motorbike does not have four wheels. If you need four wheels and a roof over your head, you buy a car instead.

If you need advanced features such as a Management VLAN setting, you buy a Smart Switch, e.g. the T1500G-8T (which isn't that expensive either) or a fully Managed Switch.

What kind of non-moving device? If I did not use DHCP for assign IP, which method should I used to mapping the device to the network?

A stationary or non-moving device is one that you do not carry around and take with you when you leave the house.

A refrigerator is such a device, you don't take it with you when walking from the kitchen to the living room. So is a switch. You don't even take an AP with you on a walk in the woods. And your router usually stays where it was once placed. You should not use DHCP at all to assign IPs to stationary devices.

For the switch use a static IP (192.168.88.2 or whatever) and configure this static IP in the switch, not in the DHCP section of your router.
Note that for static MAC/IP mapping in a DHCP server you need a Management VLAN setting in the switch, too.

I try my phone to connect on subnet 3 or vlan44, then access in the web browser with IP from which assign to switch in this situation on subnet2 or vlan42, but I can't get the connection or the web admin doesn't show up.

If you set your phone to static IP 192.168.88.100 (or whatever IP from this subnet) while in VLAN 42 or VLAN 44, you can indeed reach the TL-SG108E under its static IP (192.168.88.2 or whatever you did set). To isolate the swich from devices in other VLANs, the switch must support a Management VLAN setting for the switch itself, not just VLANs.

Options
2020-09-05 21:44:38 - last edited 2020-09-05 21:47:11

@R1D2 

R1D2 wrote

Bagusa4 wrote

You confuse VLANs and a Management VLAN setting.

An Easy Smart Switch has no Management VLAN setting b/c it's a cheap Easy Smart Switch for people who want to explore the world of managed switches.

It's the same reason why a motorbike does not have four wheels. If you need four wheels and a roof over your head, you buy a car instead.

If you need advanced features such as a Management VLAN setting, you buy a Smart Switch, e.g. the T1500G-8T (which isn't that expensive either) or a fully Managed Switch.

I see Management VLAN setting is a mechanism that has on the higher switch than Easy Smart Switch to access the switch management only via certain VLAN that define on Management Vlan setting, correct?

A stationary device such as server, router, switch, access point. Otherwise, Non-Stationary device such as mobile phone, laptop. Correct?

================================================================================

Then back to my question, this Easy switch doesn't have static IP settings?

I try to enable the DHCP options, then the switch randomly attaches on DHCP server, when I try to define static on the DHCP server the status change bound to waiting, it's like I said before. 

I try to disable the DHCP options, assign IP manually on the switch, not on DHCP Server, then on my DHCP server the switch doesn't not appear on lease lists. Why? If this switch doesn't appear on the DHCP server what about if another device that connects to the DHCP server has same IP address with the switch? it will collision? How to know that this switch is apart of the subnet? 

When I try to see emulator the Smart Switch as your example T1500G-8T, there are options on System IP Config to switch the IP Address Mode: to Static, DHCP, and BOOTP, I take Static and DHCP why there are such options like that ? Why in the Easy switch does not? is just Enable/Disable DHCP, is that by mean is the same ? Enable for DHCP and Disable for Static? 

The management VLAN ID is Management Vlan Setting as you mean, correct? 

Cheers :)

Options
2020-09-06 08:22:29 - last edited 2020-09-06 08:30:06

Bagusa4 wrote

I see Management VLAN setting is a mechanism that has on the higher switch than Easy Smart Switch to access the switch management only via certain VLAN that define on Management Vlan setting, correct?

A stationary device such as server, router, switch, access point. Otherwise, Non-Stationary device such as mobile phone, laptop. Correct?

Both assumptions are correct, yes.

I try to disable the DHCP options, assign IP manually on the switch, not on DHCP Server, then on my DHCP server the switch doesn't not appear on lease lists. Why? If this switch doesn't appear on the DHCP server what about if another device that connects to the DHCP server has same IP address with the switch? it will collision? How to know that this switch is apart of the subnet?

1) Of course static IPs will not appear in DHCP leases lists. How should a DHCP server know that there are static IPs? DHCP is not used at all for devices which have a static IP. DHCP is useful if you don't know devices in advance which might connect to your network, such as smartphones from friends visiting you.

Some routers analyze traffic further and learn static IPs used in a network to show those IPs on status pages (e.g. UBNT Edge Routers or routers from AVM).

2) Using the same static IP for more than one device will give collisions, sure. But if your neighbor would have the very same phone number you already have there will be collisions, too.

3) How to know static IPs? It's the admin who assigns static IPs, so who could know better than the admin? Such assignments are usually documented in a network topology map. Larger networks use a DNS server which also documents static IP assignments.

Most SOHO routers have a combined DHCP/DNS server which allows to define static host names and their corresponding static IPs in the DNS forwarding server. I'm not familiar with Mikrotik routers, but they should have such a feature to set static host names in their DNS server, too.

When I try to see emulator the Smart Switch as your example T1500G-8T, there are options on System IP Config to switch the IP Address Mode: to Static, DHCP, and BOOTP, I take Static and DHCP why there are such options like that ? Why in the Easy switch does not? is just Enable/Disable DHCP, is that by mean is the same ? Enable for DHCP and Disable for Static?

The management VLAN ID is Management Vlan Setting as you mean, correct?

Older firmwares of TL-SG108E did have Static and DHCP radio buttons like those on the T1500G-8T, too. It's the new firmware for newer HW models of Easy Smart switches which uses a selection menu to disable/enable DHCP. Of course, if DHCP is disabled, the only way to assign an IP to a device is to set it statically on that device.

Yes, the Management VLAN setting assigns the switch itself (the CPU, the web UI) a membership in the given VLAN. You need to understand that your 8-port switch actually has 9 ports: 8 external ports and one internal port connecting the switch chip to the CPU, so traffic can reach the CPU, too. Management VLAN setting is the way to assign this 9th port to a VLAN.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1418

Replies: 5

Related Articles