Save vs. Backup Config (T1600G-28TS)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-12 03:16:23
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.5 Build 20200109 Rel.39834(s)

I'm learning the GUI of the T1600G-28TS switch. There is an icon with a gear at the top right, labeled "Save". When I press it, it asks, "Save the configuration file?", yet it never asks for a file name.  My guess, this saves the current configuration internally to the switch?  Correct?  Does it save it as config1.cfg?  If so, how can I also save it to config2.cfg?

Is there an explanation somewhere of how this interacts with "Backup Config" and "Restore Config"?

This doesn't seem difficult, but I am baffled.

THANK YOU!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Save vs. Backup Config (T1600G-28TS)
2020-09-14 13:08:18

@Mike-48 

I think there is only one config file on the switch. Once there are settings changed on the switch, it's required to click the Save icon on the top right corner, otherwise, the settings you changed will be cleared after you reboot the switch. So the Save icon is to save the changes you made to the config file of the switch. Apply settings without Save is only to keep a cache.

Backup Config exports the current settings saved on the switch, Restore Config imports the backup config file from the switch back into the switch.

Options
Re:Save vs. Backup Config (T1600G-28TS)
2020-09-14 19:18:05
Thanks, @Yannie -- What you say makes sense. One point though: the switch shows two internal config files, config1.cfg and config2.cfg. What I can't understand is how one can access or use the second one in a useful way. It serves as a backup in case the first one is corrupted, I suppose, but how can one know what is in it? How can one affect what is in it?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1051

Replies: 2

Related Articles