VLAN Configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VLAN Configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VLAN Configuration
VLAN Configuration
2021-03-16 11:25:08
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.3 Build 20181101 Rel.42543(s)

I am trying to learn how to effectively use VLAN as a method to segregate network traffic, but for some reason, the concept is just not clicking. I have a home office and want several VLANs. I use the TPLink switch, PFSense for firewall and router, and Unifi controller with 2 Unifi APs. I setup multiple VLANs in PFsense and also created multiple SSIDs in UniFi controller. I am receiving the correct VLAN IP address when I connect to the different SSIDs, but I am not sure if I have the switch setup properly. Port 1 is connected to my PFSense box. My two APs are connected to ports 10 and 11 on the switch. On the VLAN Config I left VLAN 1 alone. VLAN 30 looks like this:

Actually, all of my VLANS look identical to this because they all involve the wireless APs on port 10 and 11. Is there something I need to do on the Port Config tab?

I also want all my IP cameras on a separate VLAN. They are a mix of hardwired and wireless. My BlueIris camera server is on my ADMIN VLAN, so is it just a matter of a firewall rule for the Camera VLAN to talk to that server's IP address? Sorry if these are basic questions. I usually do pretty well learning on my own, but for this I am struggling.

Options
2 Reply
Re:VLAN Configuration
2021-03-19 18:24:26
Is this the wrong question in the wrong place?
Options
Re:VLAN Configuration
2021-03-20 06:47:18

@miket0813 

No. It's in the right place. This is just a slow moving forum.

I had similar problems with different hardware and am close to a workable solution for my case. Here's that topic:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/257124

Based on your question about port config tab (which I have no idea what that shows) I would suggest you look to see if you can (1) create a port profile and (2) assign that profile to specific ports. I had to create a profile where in the Tagged Networks section I clicked the box for the LAN (VLAN) I created. Then I had to assign this profile in the switch settings to the port my AP is plugged into.

Not that you're asking but the way I understand it is:

• My traffic flows into the AP on, let's say, the IOT SSID. Because I linked that SSID to the VLAN I want that traffic gets tagged with the VLAN #.
  • Then on the switch I assigned that port profile I mentioned to the port that the AP is plugged into. So your tagged IOT traffic might flow into your port 10. You've told port 10 basically that there are special rules for your tagged IOT traffic and to treat it differently.
  • These rules come from your custom LAN (VLAN) settings.

I'm pretty sure that can't be technically correct but it's the best workable understanding I've been able to cobble together.

Please post your own successes so we can learn from them.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 895

Replies: 2

Related Articles