Possible to transmit ethernet wirelessly between 2 buildings with EAP225-Outdoor?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Possible to transmit ethernet wirelessly between 2 buildings with EAP225-Outdoor?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-23 09:44:25 - last edited 2021-03-23 13:22:47
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey,

I'm looking to transmit some Ethernet wirelessly, that is being delivered from the "parish house" to the church, which lies 60-70 meters from there.

We're hoping to place them indoors, right behind windows in both ends with a direct line towards each other.

I've read something about it might be possible to do it with 2x EAP225-Outdoor and an OC200

Does anyone have experience with that?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Possible to transmit ethernet wirelessly between 2 buildings with EAP225-Outdoor?
2021-03-24 13:27:29

Hi @Nicolai9852,

What you are asking would work, in theory.  But the distance 60-70m is really too far for a reliable connection with the OEM low gain, omnidirectional antennas.  You could replace the OEM antennas with higher gain ones.   

But, it would probably be better to use a directional wifi solutions which is fit for purpose for your application:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/outdoor-radio/cpe710/

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Transmission-Wireless-Injector-CPE710/dp/B08D71HC9L/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=CPE710&qid=1616591889&sr=8-3

-Jonathan

Options
Re:Possible to transmit ethernet wirelessly between 2 buildings with EAP225-Outdoor?
2021-03-24 13:55:55 - last edited 2021-03-24 13:57:38

Hey @JSchnee21, thank you for the quick response.

That looks promising. So if the CPE710 works as the client, what would work as an access point?

Would that have to be a CPE710 as well, any CPE in general or something 3rd?

Options
2021-03-24 14:47:59
The CPE series devices can be setup as an AP, but they don't work very well for that application because the antennas are so directional. Generally what is recommended is that the CPE series products are used for "point to point" air links over long distances. Then you run an Ethernet cable from the distal CPE to a switch and then out to regular AP's. So for example, given two physically separate buildings. You would mount a CPE externally on each -- facing each other (alignment is very important). Then you would run ethernet from each inside the building. In the main building the CPE would be ethernet connected to a switch which is then connected to your router/gateway and OC-200. In the distal building the Ethernet from the CPE would run inside to a switch and then out to one or more AP's (e.g. EAP225V3 or 245V3) or to other ethernet connected devices. The one rub is that Omada / OC-200 cannot manage the CPE. The CPE's have their own, separate web interface. So these need to be setup separately, first, to link to each other. Once the link is up, the OC-200 can manage devices on both sides of the bridge (and the CPE link becomes just a "really long ethernet cable"). If you also want outdoor wireless access for mobile clients, then you would also add EAP225-Outdoor's into the mix around each of the two buildings. -Jonathan
Options
2021-03-24 14:58:26 - last edited 2021-03-24 15:12:02

@JSchnee21 

So if I understand everything correctly, I would need 2x CPE710 that are pointed towards each other.

Then I can run an Ethernet cable from the one in the main building to the first 710

In the secondary building, I would wire out the Ethernet from the 710 the LAN4/WAN port on my Router (we currently have an Archer MR600, because the current solution is to use mobile SIM and the 4G network

And it would also work if it's just behind a window, but still facing each other?

And the OC-200 is not needed because they can both be managed over the Pharos Control software? And that does not require a computer running 24/7, they can do everything on their own after the setup?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1204

Replies: 4