Connecting CPE210's for multiple hops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-27 14:01:41
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I need to setup a two-hop system using CPE210's, but I'm not sure on how to connect and configure the two hops together.  I have successfully connected the two respective hops using an AP -> Client configuration for each respective hop:

Specific questions:

1.  When implementing multiple hops, should I use the AP->Client configuration chained together, as shown above, or should I use some other configuration?

2.  When connecting hop 1 to hop 2, can I connect the two CPE210's directly with an ethernet cable, or should I have a switch in between the two CPE210's?

3.  Are there any specific configuration parameters I should use when connecting CL1 to AP2, such as IP addresses, CPE210 parameters, etc.?

4.  Are there any other suggestions on configuration that I should use when trying to setup multiple hops?

Thanks for your help,

Sam

Options
4 Reply
Re:Connecting CPE210's for multiple hops
2021-05-02 22:13:26
Is this the best forum to post this type of question? Or should I post in another forum? Thanks, Sam
Options
2021-05-26 13:18:05

@wadders704 Hi Sam,

I've just found your post and have used these devices a bit in the past so will try to help.

1. The config you suggested will work just fine

2. You should be able to connect directly with a single CAT5 cable (AP1 sends internet to CL1 which then sends internet off to AP2 which then sends it over to CL2).

3. I would assign each device a static IP address (preferably sequential numbers) as if you need to get into a specific unit you can do this. Make the sure the addresses you use are outside of the DHCP range.

4. I would use different SSID names and different frequencies, so AP1 - CL1 on mickeymouse and AP2 - CL2 on daffyduck. This way there is no confusion on what device is being connected to. Ideally the connection between the first pair and the second pair shouldn't be in straight line to each other (can you right angle?), i've had huge problems with this before.

Hope this helps.

Joe.

Options
2021-05-28 02:54:47

@Ninja365 Hi Joe, thanks for responding to my questions!

I have setup a test system following your advice (right-angle configuration, different SSID's, static IP's, direct connection between CL1 and AP2), and got it to work.  The units are close together, scattered around the inside of my house, so not a real-world test.

However, I have noticed a significant drop in data throughput speed through the configuration.  Using the internal speed test app within the CPE210's, I got the following numbers for Total throughput:

AP1 -> CL1:  154

AP2 -> CL2:  134

AP1 -> CL2:  35

Running fast.com speed test on an older laptop computer on my wired network, I receive around 240 mb/s from my ISP.  Running the same speed test on the same computer connected to CL2, I get around 35 mb/s. 

Have you experienced such a decrease in throughput by going through a second hop? 

Do you have any suggestions on possible configuration changes that I might make to increase the throughput?  I tried the test with and without maxstream turned on, and the maxstream test showed the speed slower than the numbers posted above.

Thanks,

Sam

Options
2021-05-28 09:05:05

@wadders704 

wadders704 wrote

@Ninja365 Hi Joe, thanks for responding to my questions!

I have setup a test system following your advice (right-angle configuration, different SSID's, static IP's, direct connection between CL1 and AP2), and got it to work.  The units are close together, scattered around the inside of my house, so not a real-world test.

However, I have noticed a significant drop in data throughput speed through the configuration.  Using the internal speed test app within the CPE210's, I got the following numbers for Total throughput:

AP1 -> CL1:  154

AP2 -> CL2:  134

AP1 -> CL2:  35

Running fast.com speed test on an older laptop computer on my wired network, I receive around 240 mb/s from my ISP.  Running the same speed test on the same computer connected to CL2, I get around 35 mb/s. 

Have you experienced such a decrease in throughput by going through a second hop? 

Do you have any suggestions on possible configuration changes that I might make to increase the throughput?  I tried the test with and without maxstream turned on, and the maxstream test showed the speed slower than the numbers posted above.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

What are you trying to do?, i'm surprised that you are using these inside a house as i would only use these to create wireless bridges outside between buildings/sites. If you are trying to extend the Wireless in a house then a MESH system would be much better.

Based on what you first posted you have achieved what you set out to do and the speed at the end of the bridges it okay. Why are you measuring CL2 to AP1? that's not how you laid out your network.

It may be a good idea to turn the power down on both AP's as over less than 30m they will be shouting at each other. Try dropping to half and then monitor the signal connectivity. Another thing is to ensure you have a good grade CAT5e or CAT6 cable linking the items. If CL1 and AP2 are close together the use the shortest cable you can.

To get a better idea of what you are doing, can you put together a plan view with where the devices are and distances?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 920

Replies: 4