Initial switch setup : cannot access ip

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-16 18:55:55 - last edited 2021-05-16 19:20:35
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm trying to find some help on an initial setup of a TL-SG3216 L2 managed switch (Ver. 1.8).

This switch was bought together with another one a few years ago, and it wasn't unboxed until today. The other one (a 24 port version) gave me no problems setting up at the time it was bought, so I was not expecting any problems with this 16 port version. At the end I didn't need it for the time being, so I just stored the box until today.

This is completely first time out of the box. I've unboxed it now to put it to use, connect it to the power, and only connected a single machine to it. On that machine, I've set the following network info:

ip: 192.168.0.100

mask: 255.255.255.0

On the back of the switch, there is a sticker that says it has the default ip of 192.168.0.1, hence my above config.

The thing is that I'm not able to login to the switch ... http://192.168.0.1/ does not find the login page, a ping to that ip doesn't reach the destination, not even a telnet to port 80 or 443. Tested with different computers, network cables and changing the connected port, nothing works.

On ubuntu, nmap only seems to find my computer:

~$ nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24
Starting Nmap 7.91 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-05-16 18:11 UTC
Nmap scan report for ubuntu (192.168.0.100)
Host is up (0.00012s latency).
Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (1 host up) scanned in 6.60 seconds

This is an ifconfig extract that confirms the computer ip:

enp8s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.100  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.0.255

<edit>

Some more info:

- Power led is fixed on, and system led is flashing on, so by the manual, I'm assuming it is working correctly.

- Even though it is a first unbox, I would gladly reset to factory settings to see if it helps, but this switch doesn't seem to have any reset button to do it.

- I haven't tried to connect to "console" port, I have the cable obviously, but at this moment the pc I'm using doesn't have a serial port.

</edit>

Does anyone have any idea on what is going on?

Should the sticker on the switch shows the incorrect ip? Or should this switch be a faulty unit?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Initial switch setup : cannot access ip
2021-05-17 06:03:14

@zecas 

Have you connected a Router to it when you do this? Some of new product will get an IP from DHCP server automatically, or it has been set to get DHCP when out of manufacture. (Might be the reason, just my assumption).

Or the Switch IP was not 192.168.0.1 for some unknown reason.

We can't figure out the reason, but we can try to reset it with the console port and see if everything normal again. wink 

Looking forward to your update.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-05-17 15:50:38

@Virgo 

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

First of all, I tried your suggestion, even though the other 24 port switch had a static ip. Connected it to a router that has DHCP, but it did not work. Checking the router interface showed no new equipment listed.

So I bought an usb to serial converter, in this case an Ewent EW1116, connected it to the console port and followed exactly the instructions in TP Link support page (How to reset the switch to the default factory settings using PuTTy?).

Strangelly, the console showed the correct default ip info:

Press CTRL-B to enter the bootUtil
                *         TP-LINK  BOOTUTIL(v1.0.0)         *
                Copyright (c) 2012 TP-LINK Tech. Co., Ltd
                Create Date: May 17 2012 09:45:31

help                    - print this list
 reboot                  - reboot the system
 ifconfig                - config the interface
 ftp                     - config the remote host ip,the user name,user password and the image file name
 upgrade                 - upgrade the firmware
 start                   - start the system
 reset                   - reset the system to the factory config.

[TP-LINK]: ifconfig
ifconfig [ip] 192.168.0.1 [mask] 255.255.255.0 [gateway] 192.168.0.1
[TP-LINK]:

Well, nothing to loose here ... so I sent the reset command, followed by a reboot.

Gave the switch some time to recover, set again my adapter to the following manual settings:

ip: 192.168.0.2
mask: 255.255.255.0

Connected the cable and I was finally able to access the switch on the expected address: http://192.168.0.1/

Changed the ip address to 192.168.1.240 and then connect it to my network, now I was able to access it from my network, on that new ip, as expected.

This must have been something to do with too much time on the box. Next test was to disconnect it from power, and reconnect it again. Doing that I was still able to access the network and internet with my pc connected to the switch (the switch is connected to the router), so the switch is apparently handling traffic as expected. But, I was unable to access the web console again on that new ip.

Somehow it did not retain the configuration? Is there some kind of battery inside that must be changed?

Options
2021-05-17 19:56:38

@zecas 

Well, before opening the unit searching for some kind of cmos battery, I've peeked through the side holes of the switch with a flashlight (I really don't like to open devices unnecessarily). It didn't seem to have any kind of battery, it looked very similar to some unit that was opened on a youtube video.

After a new reset and reboot, I've flashed the firmware to the latest version. Then I changed the IP and some other settings on the switch, just to check if it stored them.

I've applied the changes, then I saved them, downloaded the settings and opened the file to check they were correct. At this point I didn't remember if I just simply applied the settings on the first try ... maybe I forgot to save?

Anyway ... second attempt, new firmware and some settings saved.

Power off ... waited 30 seconds ... power on ... and the switch retained the new ip address and the other settings changed!

Don't know if I just applied them on my first try and forgot to save, or if the firmware just corrected something, or both ... anyway the firmware upgrade was planned and at this moment, it all seems fine.

Now time to power it down and wait a couple of days before moving it to the network where it will be put to good use.

Hope it still works by then, but I'm feeling very positive about this :).

Thank you.

Options
2021-05-18 00:17:27

@zecas 

Glad to heat that reset works fine!

Configuration lost might be caused by this reason, have you clicked Save Config before reboot?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-05-22 16:43:18

@Virgo 

I can't really remember if I pressed save, I know I pressed apply after changing the IP address and it was working fine.

On my second attempt, when changing other settings I saved them, and by then I thought that maybe I forgot to save the first time :)

Anyway, some days have gone by, the switch was powered off these days. I connected it today on the network it will be working on, and after power on, it was working without any problem. The IP is still the one I set, I'm able to access the web interface, the other settings I changed are also there.

So I'm assuming it was a user problem, forgetting to click save blush. Seems to be working perfectly so far, so now it's time for all the other configurations needed.

Maybe this post will help someone else having trouble of accessing the management console as I did.

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 480

Replies: 5

Related Articles