Daisy chain two switches and one router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-05 20:30:54
Region : Romania

Model : TL-SG1005D

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm trying to set up my home network but I have some connectivity issues with my switches. Basically the scheme is R <-> S1 <-> S2. The problem is that the two switches don't appear to be able to properly communicate. See the image, the top diagram is the desired one but doesn't currently work, and two other things that I tried so I can at least validate a few common issues.

Some more details :

switches are identical, model given in the diagram
[*] I swapped S1 and S2, the situation is the same, switches seem to be in proper working order
[*] if I replace the second switch with a PC it will work - this tells me the wire in the wall (and the outlets) are working fine
[*] if I connect the switches via a direct patch cable it all works fine
[*] I even switched S1 with the router itself then connected S2 to the router and it worked

I read that you should normally connect two switches with a crossover cable - however this is not needed anymore with the newer switches having the Auto MDI / MDIX capability. The fact that I successfully connected the two with a straight-through patch cable (see 3rd diagram) somewhat validates this.

I guess the next step is to make a crossover cable anyway and try with that but since a direct cable currently does the job I'm not sure how a crossover will change things.
File:
netdiagram.jpgDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:Daisy chain two switches and one router
2013-03-05 21:21:56
Is it because that the distance 13m are too long for the two switches to communicate? Or because of the quality of the cable?
Options
2013-03-05 21:39:05
The product details of the switch states that the cable should not be longer than 100m so I expect 13 should not be an issue. Plus, a PC placed instead of any of the switches will work perfectly.

The cable is a very good quality FTP Cat5e cable.
Options
2013-07-15 14:42:17
I have the exact problem except that in my case the switch is TL-SF1008D.

Did you find any solutions ?
Options
2013-07-15 22:34:18
I kinda gave up, laid more cable, so I could connect each switch directly to the router: ... <---> SW <---> RT <---> SW <---> ...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5504

Replies: 4

Related Articles