TL-SG2008P Bottleneck using multiple VLANS & multiple DHCP pools with router ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-26 03:51:03 - last edited 2021-09-01 07:40:44
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20210407 Rel.54710

Hi,

I recently bought the TL-SG2008P with the plan to create a home automation vlan and separate DHCP pool.
I expected to have devices (NAS, PC, kids laptops, chromecast etc) on the main network connected to my router (Asus RT-AX88u) and Home auto devices on the TL-SG2008P.

In planning the network and seeing the benefits of the L2 & L3 features of the TL-SG2008P I'm now considering using it for all DHCP functions with separate vlans for the following:
1) VLAN 1 - Main network (Nas, PCs, Laptops, phones, tablets)
2) VLAN 2 - Guest network (over wifi on router. Granted, the router already uses a separate subnet for guest wifi but while I'm already setting up vlans and dhcp pools then I might as well do so for the guest network.)
3) VLAN 3 - Streaming devices network (Chromecast & Firestick over wifi on router)
4) VLAN 4 - Home automation network (port 6&7 allocation on 802.1Q vlan on the switch for both rpi4 Homeassistant and also an old wifi router as a home auto wifi AP) and using DHCP L2 Relay.

There will be a cat 6 cable from port 8 on the router to the port 8 on the TL-SG2008P and cat 6 from port 7 on switch to wan port on the old router/AP.

So, my main question is..... If I disable DHCP on my main router to instead use multiple DHCP pools on the TL-SG2008P managed switch for all of the above, will this result in a bottleneck over the single cat6 to the switch for devices connected on the main router (lan & wifi) with the router's DHCP disabled and relying on the switch for DHCP or is DHCP only for IP allocation and after that the switch and router(s) manage traffic as switches independently ?
The only other common traffic between the main router and the switch would be internet traffic.

and 2nd question is..... am I even planning this correctly ?  Any advice or improvements to my setup is appreciated.

Thx, Gav

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG2008P Bottleneck using multiple VLANS & multiple DHCP pools with router ?-Solution
2021-09-01 07:40:37 - last edited 2021-09-01 07:40:44
I've been advised elsewhere that there should not be a bottleneck between the router and teh switch for dhcp calls as teh router will manage traffic within it's own hardware.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-SG2008P Bottleneck using multiple VLANS & multiple DHCP pools with router ?-Solution
2021-09-01 07:40:37 - last edited 2021-09-01 07:40:44
I've been advised elsewhere that there should not be a bottleneck between the router and teh switch for dhcp calls as teh router will manage traffic within it's own hardware.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 787

Replies: 1