Constant Disconnections With 10GbE Card And Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-12 11:08:47
Model: TL-SG3428X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20210128 Rel.56556

I recently bought a TL-SG3428X switch, and a TX401 10GbE PCI-E network card.

There are about a dozen of computers connected to the normal 1GbE ports on the switch and they all work great, didn't even need any configuration, just plug and play.

However, I'm having issues with the one computer that I want to connect with a 10GbE connection.

I'm using a 10m cat7 cable (since the TX401 card has a RJ45 connector), and a copper to optic transducer (which should be and seem to be compatible) on the other side of it, connected to the SFP+ port on the switch.

The cable and network card work totally fine when connected to a regular 1GbE port on the switch, the problem only occurs when using the 10GbE port.

When it works, the network does reach high transfer speed beyond 1GbE, but there are constant disconnections, and the internet connection is very slow as well.

The switch provides both network and internet connection to all the computers.

I installed the latest firmware for the switch and the latest drivers for the network card.

The built in network port on the motherboard is disabled (and nothing is connected to it).

I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 20H2, i7-10700K, 32GB ram, Asus Prime Z490-A, Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

The local retailer tech support installed the Omada Controller as well and "adopted" the switch, but that didn't do much of anything.

I'm suspecting the issue lies within the many options of the network card driver, which I know almost nothing about.

At first the connection didn't work at all, but then I manually set the connection speed from auto to 10GbE.

Then the connection started working but the issues are as listed above.

I do not know enough about the rest of the options to solve the problems.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Constant Disconnections With 10GbE Card And Switch
2021-09-13 07:39:15

@G_K Hi, According to your description, I think the problem may be caused by 3 factors. The first is optical fiber, the second is SFP module, and the third is media converter. If your computer uses this adapter and there is no problem when it is connected to the Ethernet port of the switch, it means that the adapter and the network cable are normal, so I suggest you check the above 3 factors. In addition, are the SFP modules and media converters you use also tplink ?

Options
2021-09-14 09:50:08

@Yannie Thanks for the reply!

I'm not using a dedicated media converter, my SFP module converts from optic (switch) to copper (network card).

So the network card and switch are connected via a cat7 cable, which works great when it's connected to a 1GbE port on the switch (same port on the network card).

The SFP module isn't TP Link, it's by a brand called Advice.

Here's a link to the specs, the model is SFP-10G-RJ:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0036/9413/3297/files/SFP_Transceiver.pdf?v=1614689155

Options
2021-09-15 09:27:03

@G_K According to my understanding, tplink does not guarantee that their switches can be used with third-party SFP modules. I checked your SFP module. It is used to connect the Ethernet cable. I consulted the technical support of tplink before. They told me that their switch cannot be used with the RJ45 SFP module, and there will be compatibility problems. So I believe the SFP Module cause the issue.

Options
2021-09-19 11:43:12

@Yannie That doesn't really make much sense, especially considering they're selling an RJ45 10GbE network adapter.

Anyway, I got some advice from a network guy and it managed to fix the issue!

All I had to do was set both the transmit and receive buffers to 1024 in the network card driver settings.

Options