New CPE710 owner - Bridge not an option in Quick Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-10 22:59:57 - last edited 2021-10-11 00:42:44
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.2.1 Build 20201208 Rel. 34943 (4341)

All - I'm very new at this. Bought the CPE710 to use as a powerful range extender to connect two observatories about 100 meters behind our house. Bought it to replace a Netgear AC1200 that works okay over this distance but not good enough for my liking. There is an unobstructed line-of-sight from the wood wall of the house (where the router is) to the wooden structure housing the telescopes and computers that run them.

When I try to set up the CPE710 to give me a strong wireless connection, I'm offered: Access Point, Client, AP Router and AP Client Router. But not Bridge which is what I think I should see and videos on line say that is the function I'm after? I've confirmed my new unit is up-to-date on firmware.

Would REALLY appreciate some guidance here. Thanks in advance!

Stuart

Options
6 Reply
Re:New CPE710 owner - Bridge not an option in Quick Setup
2021-10-11 08:16:38 - last edited 2021-10-11 08:36:35

@Heggie 

Your netgear router should be omnidirectional antenna, 360°, while the CPE710 uses directional antenna, antenna beamwidth is very narrow, only 7° so it's not suitable for wireless coverage, I think you can consider using EAP-Outdoor. but it should be noted that EAP needs wired connection to the front end to expand the network.

Options
2021-10-11 14:25:52

@Yannie Thanks for the fast reply! I have maybe 100 meters to span. I have a pole at the shed where the computers are. I think I could aim the dish accurately within the 7 degrees you mentioned. But even set up in the house, right beside the router and pointed right at it, I can get a connection but no Internet.

When I try setup I use "Client" (since Bridge isn't an option) and everything goes smoothly (I think?) and it sees my router, I connect, give it all the info (password, encryption etc) and then it seems connected but no Internet. 

Can this CPE710 work as a range extender? Have I bought the wrong device? I just want to wirelessly extend my home internet to a building 100 meters away.

Stuart

Options
2021-10-13 07:51:35

@Heggie CPE is generally used for point-to-point transmission. I think this is also the reason why tplink will delete the repeater and bridge modes. It cannot be said that you bought the wrong product, but I think CPE is really not suitable for you.

Options
2021-10-13 13:32:32

@Yannie Good news! The system is working fine now. I had a networking expert come over and he explained something that is NOT in the instructions (or not very clearly there).

When I was done configuring the CPE710 I found my wireless network but it would not provide Internet. He explained that it wanted a hard line connection to the source. We connected it and voila! Everything worked as desired.

The second thing he suggested was to NOT put the dish at the remote end but to leave my old range extender there and mount the dish on my house with the hard line to the router (access point / internet connection) where it would receive a stronger source signal. I mounted the dish on the outside wall of my house, high up, and aimed it carefully at the remote building where the range extender is. This created a powerful two-way connection and now the data flows from to / from the house / remote shed is 5x faster than my max Internet speed so the link to the observatories is never the slowest part of my equation.

So, all is now good! I appreciate you staying with this issue and supporting me.

Stuart

Options
2021-10-14 08:40:03

@Heggie Glad to hear that : ) enjoy your internetlaugh

Options
2021-10-17 15:12:16

@Yannie I'm sorry to report that my solution is not stable. I'm at my wits end. The connection works very well and quite fast then after some number of hours (never days) the CPE710 seems to stop transmitting. All my remote devices (the ones in the shed 100 meters away) lose internet access. If I simply unplug the ethernet cable running to the dish and plug it back in, it starts transmitting again. While it seems to be off-line, I check and for sure I cannot access it with my phone standing outside in the line of the beam.

If I power cycle the PoE or unplug the cable to the dish from the PoE it returns. If I simply unplug and replug the connection to my router, it does NOT come back. In case that's important.

Stuart (who really appreciates the help)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 626

Replies: 6