A simple question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

A simple question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
A simple question
A simple question
2021-11-08 03:09:01
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2 Build 20200612 Rel. 53582 (5553)

Can anyone point me to a comprehensive manual or user guide concerning Pharos settings and operations? I merely want to provide internet to a detached garage that's only 35 feet from my home. I have a single CPE210 that I'd like to use as a simple access point for a few devices in the garage. I've set up many networks over many years that utilized multiple APs and/or range extenders, but Pharos on the CPE210 has me completely baffled. Some good documentation would be extremely helpful.

Many thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:A simple question
2021-11-08 17:54:47

@HFox  So I guess there isn't any such documentation. Or, maybe I'm asking the wrong question(s).

Can anyone explain which settings need to be modified for the CPE210 to provide internet access to devices connecting to it, when my tp-link AX11000 router is setup to provide IP addresses on a different subnet than the CPE? My router and all devices work in the 192.158.1.x space. Do I modify any of the CPE "Network" options to put it into that subnet? If so, which ones? Do I keep the CPE on a static address or change it to use DHCP?

Since I'm not actually working with this stuff in a business environment, should I move these posts to the "Home" community?

TIA

Options
2021-11-09 09:22:54

@HFox 

It seems like you want to set the CPE as Access point.

On the tplink website has some information will be helpful to you: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/730/

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ISUSlTcgWks

In general, even if the CPE is not on the same network segment as the router, it will still work, but you will not be able to log into the CPE interface because your device is connected to your router's network to obtain an IP address that is not on the same network segment as the CPE's own default(I gusse is 192.168.0.253).

So it looks like you know your router's IP address, so it's definitely more convinient to set the CPE's IP to the same network segment as your router.  Like 192.158.1.200.

This way the next time you want to log in to the CPE interface to change the settings you don't need to set a static IP for your PC and ......., lots of tedious steps lol.

Let me see, there is no need to enable the DHCP function of the CPE, as the device connected to the back of the CPE will automatically obtain the IP address assigned by the router you connect to the front of the CPE.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-11 15:20:17

@Virgo Thanks for the info. So I was able to find the Pharos User Guide from another member's post. It got me through the setup process and the CPE is now a device on my network. I can login wirelessly at the new IP address.

I also setup the wireless settings, essentially the same way I've setup other non-tplink APs with a single unique SSID, passphrase, etc. The latest problem is that the CPE is not broadcasting the new SSID even though I've set it to do so. If I try to connect as though the SSID is hidden, devices can't find it either. Even if other settings are incorrect in some way, why do you suppose it would not be broadcasting, at least. Makes no sense.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Options
2021-11-12 01:22:28

@HFox 

I think this problem can be caused by many reasons and would still suggest that you take a look at this article(I think lol), which may help.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1968/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-12 02:14:25

@Virgo Thank you again. I was able to solve the problem myself, even though I'm still not sure why the problem existed in the first place. I updated the CPE210 firmware to the latest version, then re-entered all of the same wireless settings I had setup prior to the update, and magically, everything started working.

Unfortunately, a really interesting and very frustrating finding that I stumbled upon, also makes no sense. I chose not to pull cable out of my home's soffit to mount the CPE outdoors. Inasmuch as the detached garage is less than thirty feet from the back of our home, I decided signal strength "should" easily be strong enough mounting it in the back-most area of our attic. Using ceiling height and other measurements as a guide, I found an optimal height, above ground level. and aimed the CPE directly at the front of the garage. The signal needed only to pass through a layer of plywood and shingles that were no more than five feet from the device then through a single concrete block wall on the front of the garage. I was very surprised when the signal inside the garage was nearly non-existent. I was barely able to get 7-Mbps down and 1.5-Mbps up, inside the garage. Oddly, very oddly, I found that sitting in the family room of our home, slightly further than the garage from the CPE and almost directly behind it, I saw more than 90-Mbps down and 24-Mbps up.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in my selection of devices. I would have thought that an AP capable of reaching a client more than a kilometer away, despite the line-of-sight requirement, could have easily made its way through a sheet of plywood and one concrete block wall, directly in front of it, to provide a usable signal. Guess I thought wrong.

Next up will be a cabling job out of the attic into the garage. So far, every dollar spent on a wireless solution has been worthless. Time to move on.

Thanks again, nonetheless.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 486

Replies: 5

Related Articles