Cpe210 and Unifi network / APs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-17 03:12:23 - last edited 2021-11-18 01:03:31
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, trying to connect the cpe 210 as a wireless extender (repeater) to connect the house with a barn about 150 ft away. I have a linksys router in the barn that (in theory) will pick up the broadcast signal from the cpe to then distribute Wi-Fi in the barn.  The home system is a unifi network with access point 6 lite APs. I've been through the setup as a repeater on the cpe, everything seems to go fine, but the cpe is not showing up on the unifi controller or connected as a device to the access point. The signal bars on the side of the cpe show no signal - power is on and LAN is lit up. 

what's strange is I also have a google nest Wi-Fi system and doing the same setup, the cpe connects fine and seemingly is broadcasting the signal of that network (all signal lights on the side of the cpe are lit up). I'm transitioning from the google mesh to unifi, so keeping what works today is not an option. 

I did search for answers but could only find an article from 2015 and the use of unifi airmax causing issues.  I don't think or couldn't find anywhere in unifi that deals with airmax. 

it seems an option (but would like it to be a last resort) is to buy another cpe and install at the barn and use the ap and client setup. 

any ideas?  Many thanks. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Cpe210 and Unifi network / APs?
2021-11-17 03:19:28 - last edited 2021-11-18 01:03:31

@Sloman I should add that I have the option to run a (Poe enabled) cable to the cpe from the switch. But I couldn't see a way to have it then broadcast a wireless ssid?

my hope in the end is to have the same ssid for the house network and the barn,  so no switching to a different ssid or network with passwords, etc. 

Options
2021-11-18 01:43:13

@Sloman 

Why would two different brands support the features on its competitor's controller? I don't get it. You will not see this CPE on the Unifi controller for good. 

To log in the CPE, you access via the IP of the device on a browser.  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/730/

Yes. What you described is do-able. Linksys, I don't know. Does it support Client mode? Or repeater? I don't know. I am not sure if your linksys can even receive the signal and communicate with the CPE. They do P2P with two high power antenna. Regualr home WiFi router, not sure. If you can receive the signal, you can try it. 

Options
2021-11-18 02:57:02

@John1234  thanks for the note.  Not sure I understand the competitors statement. Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi and the cpe should be able to attach to any Wi-Fi signal (as a repeater) regardless of the brand of access point.  As an example, the cpe connects to the google nest Wi-Fi without issue and is doing exactly what I want.  I go thru the same setup for the unifi and it doesn't connect.  

I can login into the cpe via the browser (to setup or when using the google mesh and the cpe as a repeater), no problem there.  The unifi  controller will show any device that has an IP address on the network - thermostats, phones, computers, gaming consoles, etc. I would expect if the cpe was connected to the unifi Wi-Fi signal, it would show up. 

Thanks 

Options
2021-11-18 03:09:07

@Sloman 

Ah. I think I got you wrong before. I don't know much about Unifi stuff. It repeats the signal from the google home wifi, but not seeing the wifi from the unifi? Do I understand right now? 

Can you confirm it's 2.4ghz wifi and the channel for your unifi AP is not on DFS or non-supported channels from CPE? 

Options
2021-11-18 03:16:37
Partially correct, all good on the google Wi-Fi. I can scan, see, and theoretically connect to the unifi Wi-Fi from the cpe Pharos client. The setup wizard refreshes like nothing is wrong. The unifi AP’s 2.4ghz Wi-Fi is channel 1 (20).
Options
2021-11-19 07:23:28

@Sloman 

I can assure you CPE to CPE is good. For other, I don't know. CPE210 operates in 2.4~2.483GHz. Security: WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (AES/TKIP) Encryption, 64/128/152-bit WEP

Separate 2.4GHz from the integrated SSID on your host network and check your security settings on the host. Check again? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1079

Replies: 6

Related Articles