connecting 2 networks, don't see WLAN IP address options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-30 17:12:09
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought a pair of CPE510 devices to build a new network about a mile away from my existing network. I think I know enough about statically routed IPV4 to build this network, I just don't see the IP options for the WLAN interfaces and I know enough to know that it seldom "just works" if you don't think it out and configure it.

Existing network: 192.168.15.0/24

192.168.15.1 - existing router to internet (does DNS, DHCP, etc)

192.168.15.7 - ready to be the LAN IP of the CPE510

plenty of other existing devices on this network, all using the .1 router to access internet

New network: 192.168.33.0/24

192.168.33.1 - ready to be the LAN IP of the CPE510, will be router for this whole network

192.168.33.2-5 - ready to be the IP addresses of 4 computers on this network which I want to go over the WLAN link back to the existing network

I have the CPE510 up and running that I want to use for the existing network. I chose "access point" in the quick connect options and was able to configure the LAN port to be 192.168.15.7. I was able to configure the wireless SSID, etc. I just don't see any options for setting up the IP information on the WLAN interface. How can that be?

I'm sure I can do the same thing with the other CPE510, choose "client" on the quick connect... not sure what all options it will give me and without configuring the WLAN network I don't see how it could possibly work.

If I do this and never set any IP information on the WLAN interfaces will it somehow work? Do I need to select a different option other than "access point" to gain access to the IP information for WLAN? Am I over thinking things?

Options
2 Reply
Re:connecting 2 networks, don't see WLAN IP address options
2021-12-01 05:52:31

@ned73 

OK. You selected Access Point. AP is just extending your existing network. It is not creating a new network. AP is passing through the IPs from your existing DHCP server.

Refer to the link: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/723/

Not sure if you have that many options on your firmware version. Hmm, after the config, navigate to the Network > LAN > DHCP, configure your DHCP. 

I never tried to use CPE as A router. So, from the emulator, I guess that's how it works. 

Options
Re:connecting 2 networks, don't see WLAN IP address options
2021-12-03 17:18:26

@John1234 

Thanks John, you pointed me in the right direction. I was able to get the "AP Router" quick setup option to work on my existing network. It's extremely frustrating as once you hit "Finish" it turns off the HTTP management interface on the ethernet (since it assumes that is now a "WAN" port). It seems to be bridging across the wireless interface. So there's no way to get back in to manage it, but it does seem to work. Other CPE is set as "Client" and connects bridged to the AP, ethernet is a "LAN" port, runs a DHCP server, and I can get back into that one to manage if I need to.

It's such a shame that Pharos is so finicky and buggy to manage as it has so many features but when trying to build an AP any wrong click (such as trying to get into AP Client mode without using the quick setup) and it turns off the management interface and you have to reboot and start over. Glad it works with quick setup otherwise I'd have to return them. I understand that's to enforce security by default, but it does make the devices very troublesome to attempt to use and the documentation is slightly below what I would call minimum viable.

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 422

Replies: 2