24-port switch breaking everything else on the network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-12 01:33:13
Model: TL-SG1024D  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

I ordered two TP-Link 24-port unmanaged switches from Amazon recently to replace a pair of very old Netgear switches on the church network. I bought these in particular for the "plug-and-play" promise. Turns out it's more "plug-and-pray..."

After plugging the uplink into port 1 on the switch, and connecting all other cables to the switch, I plugged in the power cord. Lights flashed. Everything looked great. And then behold, it came to pass that every single other device on the church network -- across four buildings -- could not access the internet. 

Unplugged the new TP-Link switch; immediately everything else not needing to route through that switch was back online.

I downloaded the TP-Link Configuration Utility, plugged the switch back in, and refreshed the utility. It (understandably) said "Unable to find any switches on 192.168.1.x." So I took the switch into my office, unplugged my Windows 10 PC from the switch where it goes, and connected it to the TP-Link switch on port 1. I then restarted the PC and ran the utility. Now the utility reports "unable to find any switches on 239.178.54.14." I have no idea where that IP came from, so it must be the switch? 

In any case, I'm completely frustrated by this experience. What does it take to make this router go? Please help -- Sunday is coming, and I've already said the Lord's name too many times over this experience today....

Options
3 Reply
Re:24-port switch breaking everything else on the network
2021-12-13 06:41:28

@ChurchOrganist 

As far as I know, this model of switch is unmanaged, it has no web interface nor IP address.
Still need to confirm that you are connecting the first switch to the back of the LAN port of the router and the second switch to either port of the first switch with just a network cable, correct?
Are both switches having the same problem?
Is the switch internet port light on with the device connected behind the switch?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-12-13 07:10:55 - last edited 2021-12-13 07:13:59

@Virgo 

Thank you for your response!

I have, so far, only opened one of the switches and attempted to swap it out for a Netgear switch.

The lay of the land looks basically like this. In the church main office is the Xfinity modem, a Netgear router, and an old Netgear switch that supports all of the networked equipment in that building, and then lines out to the other three buildings on the church campus. One of these is the Sanctuary building.

Yesterday, in the Sanctuary building, I unhooked the old Netgear 100 switch and replaced it with this TP-Link switch. If the switch instructions were to be believed, the Netgear router should have supplied the TP-Link switch with an IP address, as that same Netgear router supplies all the other devices with IP addresses. 

The second TP-Link switch is still wrapped up in the original plastic. But tonight I'm thinking that I should probably see if it will work plug-and-play, meaning that the first one is defective.

Edited to add: In the Sanctuary, we have six IP video cameras, two Windows machines, one network-capabable sound board, one wireless access point, and a couple other peripherals, which is why I have a 24-port switch in use in the Sanctuary.

Options
2021-12-14 05:52:42

Dear @ChurchOrganist ,

ChurchOrganist wrote

@Virgo 

Thank you for your response!

I have, so far, only opened one of the switches and attempted to swap it out for a Netgear switch.

The lay of the land looks basically like this. In the church main office is the Xfinity modem, a Netgear router, and an old Netgear switch that supports all of the networked equipment in that building, and then lines out to the other three buildings on the church campus. One of these is the Sanctuary building.

Yesterday, in the Sanctuary building, I unhooked the old Netgear 100 switch and replaced it with this TP-Link switch. If the switch instructions were to be believed, the Netgear router should have supplied the TP-Link switch with an IP address, as that same Netgear router supplies all the other devices with IP addresses. 

The second TP-Link switch is still wrapped up in the original plastic. But tonight I'm thinking that I should probably see if it will work plug-and-play, meaning that the first one is defective.

Edited to add: In the Sanctuary, we have six IP video cameras, two Windows machines, one network-capabable sound board, one wireless access point, and a couple other peripherals, which is why I have a 24-port switch in use in the Sanctuary.

Based on your description, I have roughly simplified the topology as follows.
Xfinity modem ----Netgear router ----old Netgear switch ----TL-SG1024D, right?

If so, here are some troubleshooting you may refer:

1. Please makse sure the connection between the old Netgear switch to TL-SG1024D is fine, if you don't mind, please connect the new switch to your router with the cable directly, and make sure the Link light on the switch's port is on and normal. If no, please change different cables and ports to have a try, make sure the cable and port is working.

2. Please test the second switch can work or not?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 699

Replies: 3