Advice: Outdoor WiFi Solution for gate-side Ring camera - 200-300m from house

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-14 21:58:16

Greetings,

I am looking for a solution to provide WiFi at my perimeter gates (which are located roughly 200-300m away from my house), so as to have a Ring camera reliably function at the gate-side. There is a chainlink fence and hedgerow between the home and gates, however, I would be able to mount an access point on the roof (second story) which would provide line-of-sight over the hedgerow to the gates. 

I have considered using a pair of CPE210s, one at the house, the other at the gates along with an eap110 to vendor WiFi to the camera; however, I am wondering if there is a more succinct solution (i.e. using a single access point with a directional aftermarket antenna). I understand that these directional access points are meant to be used for point-to-point applications and that I need to take into account the Fresnel Zone but I am considering any and all options: even if it is overkill, I only want to make sure the connection is reliable.

I live in a rural area, there are no other access points or obvious forms of interference. 

Any advise welcome.

Regards.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Advice: Outdoor WiFi Solution for gate-side Ring camera - 200-300m from house
2021-12-15 07:07:45

Dear @Flewmp ,

Flewmp wrote

I am looking for a solution to provide WiFi at my perimeter gates (which are located roughly 200-300m away from my house), so as to have a Ring camera reliably function at the gate-side. There is a chainlink fence and hedgerow between the home and gates, however, I would be able to mount an access point on the roof (second story) which would provide line-of-sight over the hedgerow to the gates. 

I have considered using a pair of CPE210s, one at the house, the other at the gates along with an eap110 to vendor WiFi to the camera; however, I am wondering if there is a more succinct solution (i.e. using a single access point with a directional aftermarket antenna). I understand that these directional access points are meant to be used for point-to-point applications and that I need to take into account the Fresnel Zone but I am considering any and all options: even if it is overkill, I only want to make sure the connection is reliable.

Given the scenario that you want to expand WiFi and considering the distance and other aspects, a pair of CPEs for point-to-point as you mentioned is the most suitable solution.

The reason for adding another access point is that the Client CPE cannot broadcast WiFi and has to broadcast WiFi to your camera through this EAP.

Here are some articles and instructions that might be helpful:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/configuration-guides/common-applications-for-pharos-products/?configurationId=22033 (Point to Point)

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/907/

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 374

Replies: 1