Suggestions for WIFI at a camping/RV site

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-22 23:21:21 - last edited 2022-01-05 06:28:29

So I was working with someone who wanted to add wifi to their RV/campground and this is not something I have ever done or really ever thought about. I could use a little assistance in the planning and equipment.

My initial thought was to set up three CPE210s at the house upfront where the internet comes in, attaching them to the outside using J poles. One pointing in each of the directions I need to go. Each one has two SSIDs; one that would provide wifi for the guests, and one that would link everything together. 

Attached is a graphic that might help. Double-ended arrows represent the link between CPEs while single-ended arrows represent wifi coverage for the guests. Lines with no arrows represent cat6 cable.

The plan would need 9 CPE210 units. Three at the house where the internet comes in, then three pairs in remote locations. The three at the house would have two SSIDS, "Guest Access" and "Backhaul". The three at remote locations facing back towards the house would only have the "Backhaul" SSID and the three remotes facing away from the house would only have the "Guest Access" SSID.

Will this work? Is there a better way?

I appreciate any tips or pointers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Suggestions for WIFI at a camping/RV site-Solution
2021-12-23 07:26:44 - last edited 2022-01-05 06:28:29

Dear @Flea77

Flea77 wrote

My initial thought was to set up three CPE210s at the house upfront where the internet comes in, attaching them to the outside using J poles. One pointing in each of the directions I need to go. Each one has two SSIDs; one that would provide wifi for the guests, and one that would link everything together. 

Attached is a graphic that might help. Double-ended arrows represent the link between CPEs while single-ended arrows represent wifi coverage for the guests. Lines with no arrows represent cat6 cable.

The plan would need 9 CPE210 units. Three at the house where the internet comes in, then three pairs in remote locations. The three at the house would have two SSIDS, "Guest Access" and "Backhaul". The three at remote locations facing back towards the house would only have the "Backhaul" SSID and the three remotes facing away from the house would only have the "Guest Access" SSID.

Yes, your network topology you provided is OK, you just need to note to set the correct operation mode.

Here is the suggestion(Example of three CPEs in one direction only): AP CPE)))(((Client CPE----AP CPE/EAP225-Outdoor.

The reason for the extra option of EAP225-Outdoor is that if the CPE used to extend the wireless network at your remote end is only used to cover a short range of clients, then the EAP is more appropriate and the EAP is an omni-directional antenna.

And CPE is equipped with directional antenna as it is designed for point-to-point long-distance network transmission, its wireless signal is mainly focused on its front panel and has a very limited 60 degree angle. So if you haven't but these devices, then EAP225-Outdoor you can consider, using it to replace the third CPE.

Best Regards!

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Suggestions for WIFI at a camping/RV site-Solution
2021-12-23 07:26:44 - last edited 2022-01-05 06:28:29

Dear @Flea77

Flea77 wrote

Yes, your network topology you provided is OK, you just need to note to set the correct operation mode.

Here is the suggestion(Example of three CPEs in one direction only): AP CPE)))(((Client CPE----AP CPE/EAP225-Outdoor.

The reason for the extra option of EAP225-Outdoor is that if the CPE used to extend the wireless network at your remote end is only used to cover a short range of clients, then the EAP is more appropriate and the EAP is an omni-directional antenna.

And CPE is equipped with directional antenna as it is designed for point-to-point long-distance network transmission, its wireless signal is mainly focused on its front panel and has a very limited 60 degree angle. So if you haven't but these devices, then EAP225-Outdoor you can consider, using it to replace the third CPE.

Best Regards!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Suggestions for WIFI at a camping/RV site
2021-12-28 01:58:06

@Hank21 Thank you! I will give that a shot. Appreciate the assist.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 468

Replies: 2