TL-SG2008P - Having trouble correctly passing vlan tag traffic across the switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SG2008P - Having trouble correctly passing vlan tag traffic across the switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-28 00:48:14 - last edited 2021-12-30 00:07:39
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20210407 Rel.54710

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting my new TL-SG2008P switch to handle vlan traffic successfully. 

I have 3 EAP245 APs running through an Edgerouter X.  Everything TP-Link related is managed through the Omada controller software.  I recently created a new SSID on the APs and assigned it VLAN 10.  The one AP that's connected directly to the Edgerouter works correctly: the devices that connect to it via the new SSID get assigned the right IP address based on VLAN 10 and the DHCP server on the router.  But the other two APs that are connected to the switch do not allow any client to connect via the new VLAN SSID. 

Previously I was using cheap, unmanaged switches and I thought getting a proper managed one would simply allow VLAN tags to work unhindered, but apparently it's more involved than just that.  I attempted to create a port profile that indicated it should be configured as tagged, but setting doesn't seem to stick.  What am I missing to get this to work correctly?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG2008P - Having trouble correctly passing vlan tag traffic across the switch-Solution
2021-12-29 05:34:39 - last edited 2021-12-30 00:07:39

@SilentD 

I may have some clues from the screenshot.

The default VLAN1 is not forced to be untagged, it's just you select that one as the native network. Kinda understand why this doesn't work, you probably change VLAN setting on the default network(LAN) instead of creating new one right?

The native network force it to be untagged, that's why you can see 'LAN' already checked and grayed out under untagged network. Default network will always be untagged, because not all the devices can receive tagged packets. The most common example is PC. So if you are able to tag the default network, your switch can't plug in any computers.

So you can create another network(VLAN) for EAPs, I mean don't change the settings of default network.

Then you will see the option to tag the new VLAN and assign to ports on the switch.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-SG2008P - Having trouble correctly passing vlan tag traffic across the switch
2021-12-28 06:18:54

@SilentD 

Hi,

Since you already create VLAN and work fine on the EAP which directly connecting the router.

And also you create port profile, but did you assign the profile to those ports that router and EAPs connecting to?

Some screenshots of your VLAN and profile settings would be better for me to figure out what should be the problem.

Options
Re:TL-SG2008P - Having trouble correctly passing vlan tag traffic across the switch
2021-12-28 14:50:01 - last edited 2021-12-30 00:07:25

@Yannie 

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Here's a screenshot of the port profile.  I tried checking All under the the "Tagged Networks" option, but it never saves.  And the LAN network is greyed out. 

Is traffic on the default management VLAN (1) forced to be untagged?   I came across this article and I suspect moving the mgmt vlan to something else might solve my problem and allow me to enable tagging on specific ports via a port profile.  (You can see I started adding a new network based on that article but didn't enable it yet.)  Am I on the right track?

Edit:  Also a possible concern:  I have the Omada software running in a Docker container on a Raspberry Pi, along with quite a few other important things.  If I follow the directions found in that article and move the Raspberry Pi to the newly configured MGMT LAN port on the switch, will everything still be accessible to me on the main network?  Or will I need to take some steps to ensure I don't lose access?

Options
Re:TL-SG2008P - Having trouble correctly passing vlan tag traffic across the switch-Solution
2021-12-29 05:34:39 - last edited 2021-12-30 00:07:39

@SilentD 

I may have some clues from the screenshot.

The default VLAN1 is not forced to be untagged, it's just you select that one as the native network. Kinda understand why this doesn't work, you probably change VLAN setting on the default network(LAN) instead of creating new one right?

The native network force it to be untagged, that's why you can see 'LAN' already checked and grayed out under untagged network. Default network will always be untagged, because not all the devices can receive tagged packets. The most common example is PC. So if you are able to tag the default network, your switch can't plug in any computers.

So you can create another network(VLAN) for EAPs, I mean don't change the settings of default network.

Then you will see the option to tag the new VLAN and assign to ports on the switch.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-30 00:07:04

@Yannie 

Got it working correctly, thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1169

Replies: 4