Router says connected - No internet with Nighthawk

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-27 08:26:28 - last edited 2022-01-28 23:59:04
Model: TL-R480T+  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: 1.20 Build 20160809 Rel 40742s

Hi

I am trying to set up a TL-R480t+ to use two modems for load sharing.

Wan 1 with NBN (Australia) connected Works and I can access internet.

If I plug the NBN into port 2 it works.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk - Works from a sim card.

I cannot get internet access through the Nighthawk whether I have the NBN connected or not.

If I plug a laptop directly into the Nighthawk it works.

I can plug the Nighthawk in to either Wan 1 or Wan 2 

The status page shows Connected. Because it is a sim card it is Dynamic ip in the router.

Status connected

Ip address 10.xxx.xxx.xxx ( which is the Nighthawk current address. It changes every reboot)

Subnet 255.255.255.255

Gateway 10.xxx.xxx.xxx

Dns 1 & 2 are both from the Nighthawk.

The Nighthawk is set to ip passthrough = on.

I am lost as to why I can get internet with the NBN in either port but not the Nighthawk.

If I plug the Nighthawk into wan port 1 it will still populate as above.

I have tried turning the DHCP server on and off on the Nighthawk and it does not affect the outcome.

I have also turned DHCP server on and off on the router

The ip address of the router is 192.168.0.1

Any help will be very appreciated 

Thank you

PeterOz

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Router says connected - No internet with Nighthawk-Solution
2022-01-28 12:28:45 - last edited 2022-01-28 23:59:04

@PeterOz 

I believe nighthawk is a router. So, if you disable DHCP on it, you gotta fill out the static IP(WAN setting) on your R480+. Same subnet and that'll work. 

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Router says connected - No internet with Nighthawk
2022-01-28 04:46:44 - last edited 2022-01-28 04:49:19

@PeterOz 

Try MAC clone if you have one device that can work flawlessly on the modem. 'Cause the modem has some kind of security measures that will stop unknown MAC to get Internet. 

To resolve this is easy. Restart your modem(this will flush the MAC) or try the MAC clone(Clone your PC's MAC to the TP router). Make sure your router is the first device that has a connection with the modem. 

Options
2022-01-28 05:12:05 - last edited 2022-01-28 05:13:42

@John1234 

Hi John

I wonder if the issue could be because the Netgear is a sim card I cannot set it as PPPoE.

It is dynamic Ip address.

I cannot set it as static in the modem itself and if I set it as static in the router as son as I loose power to the Netgear

It will get a new ip.

Also I cannot clone PC mac address in modem.

I have cloned it in Router

Still no internet

Cheers

Peter

Options
2022-01-28 05:50:56
I remember you said they're on bridge mode now. So, set up your modems and connect the router to the modems. Select correct connection type. (This info is given by your ISP) Your sim card could use dynamic. So, your WAN connection type is set to Dynamic IP. Dynamic IP is given by your ISP. It is not up to TPLINK or you. You cannot pick up an IP and give it to the WAN port. That does not work 'cause your ISP defines and controls this WAN IP you get for your Sim card
Options
2022-01-28 06:10:00

@John1234 

Sorry for the confusion

When I asked my original question I had been doing research and I came to the conclusion that I should set the modems in bridge mode,which you confirmed would be the 

best solution. I have since picked up the router and the Netgear Nighthawk and bought them home.

Now that I have been able to log into the Netgear modem and the TP link router I have discovered there are very limited options in the Nighthawk.

It looks like You can only set IP passthrough which disables the wifi and the ony other option is whether or not to use it as a dhcp server

Which I have turned Off to allow the TP to be the DHCP.

Sorry I should know better and reported that once I had the actual equipment there is no option for bridge mode in the Nighthawk.

Cheers

Peter

Options
Re:Router says connected - No internet with Nighthawk-Solution
2022-01-28 12:28:45 - last edited 2022-01-28 23:59:04

@PeterOz 

I believe nighthawk is a router. So, if you disable DHCP on it, you gotta fill out the static IP(WAN setting) on your R480+. Same subnet and that'll work. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-01-28 23:58:51

@John1234 

Hi John 

Thank you for all your help.

I now have the Netgear Nighthawk connected to the internet.

I don't know why that did not work before when I tried Static IP. I must have missed something obvious

That was not obvious at the time. Or maybe the power out last night that caused a reboot of everything did the trick???

I will return the equipment now and hopefully when it is connected to the other modem it will not create any issuses.

I currently have the TPlink as the dhcp server so I will make sure to tell them to disable DHCP on the other modem.

I will also inform them that they should consider a UPS to run the Nighthawk so it does not loose it's ip otherwise

they will have to renew the ip inside the router if they have a power out.

Once again thank you for all the help you provided.

Regards

Peter

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 464

Replies: 6