Compatibility in switch and transceivers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-07 15:54:28 - last edited 2022-02-08 00:46:38
Model: TL-SX3008F  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20210316 Rel.70629

Hello everyone, 

A client has in his home a switch SX3008F connected to the main router (which provides the internet) by a MC200L with transceiver TL-SM321B connected in the port8 of the switch and transceiver TL-SM321A-2(UN) connected in the MC200L. This whole part works properly.

The problem is when he tries to connect some other routers with a fiber port (in AP mode) to the other ports. In this ports he has transceivers TL-SM321A-2(UN), but ports don't link well with the routers. Do you know is there is a problem of compatibility with this kind of transceiver? Or could be a configuration issue in the routers? Because assuming the routers configuration isn't well, I think there could be any kind of link in the switchport.

Thank you

Regards

Options
9 Reply
Re:Compatibility in switch and transceivers
2022-02-07 16:29:41 - last edited 2022-02-08 00:46:38

Assuming the situation before, but changing those routers to the model TP-Link Archer XR500V and connecting it to the switch by fiber ports, the switchports should link .Isn't it? And what type of transceiver should have? 321A or B? Thanks. 

Regards

Options
2022-02-08 05:39:50

Dear @HJ_Comm ,

HJ_Comm wrote

A client has in his home a switch SX3008F connected to the main router (which provides the internet) by a MC200L with transceiver TL-SM321B connected in the port8 of the switch and transceiver TL-SM321A-2(UN) connected in the MC200L. This whole part works properly.

The problem is when he tries to connect some other routers with a fiber port (in AP mode) to the other ports. In this ports he has transceivers TL-SM321A-2(UN), but ports don't link well with the routers. Do you know is there is a problem of compatibility with this kind of transceiver? Or could be a configuration issue in the routers? Because assuming the routers configuration isn't well, I think there could be any kind of link in the switchport.

Based on the information you have provided, the following points are for your reference:
1. The switch SX3008F has 10GE SFP+ Slots by default, while the MC200L and SM321 series products you are using are both 1G.

It is generally recommended that you manually go to the switch web interface and change the SFP port link speed of this Switch to 1G.

2. Generally speaking, the SM321B and SM321A are compatible and paired to use and can be up to 20KM, while the SM321A-2 can only be used up to 2KM.

3. May I know the type and length of Fiber cable used by your customers?

4. In addition, to better identify the problem, please tell me what's the physical connection(current topology) of your all devices?

(You can draw a diagram of Network Topology simply if you don't mind.).

And please describe and point which section and which devices can not be linked to each other?

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-08 08:50:57 - last edited 2022-02-08 08:51:44

Hello @Hank21 

First of all, thank you for your answer. 

The first point you mentioned has been already applied when I was with the customer. 

According to the second and third point, the length in total is less than 2 km, because is his own home. The type of all the fiber cables are single mode and SC simplex. 

The diagram you see before is more or less what the customer has. From the main router to the switch, all works properly. But, from the switch to the routers 2, 3 and 4 nothing links. All the routers are the same model (router smart wifi Movistar). 

We think that the issue is in the fiber port of routers 2, 3 and 4. They could have any type of restriction as for example, only allowing direct connection to the ONT, but we don't know at all. 

Hope all this information helps. Once again, thank you. 

Regards

Options
2022-02-09 06:25:00

Dear @HJ_Comm ,

HJ_Comm wrote

Hello @Hank21

The diagram you see before is more or less what the customer has. From the main router to the switch, all works properly. But, from the switch to the routers 2, 3 and 4 nothing links. All the routers are the same model (router smart wifi Movistar). 

We think that the issue is in the fiber port of routers 2, 3 and 4. They could have any type of restriction as for example, only allowing direct connection to the ONT, but we don't know at all. 

Is your Router2/3/4 model number Archer XR500V?
If so, please note that the Archer XR500V is a GPON device and the data is encapsulated in GEM, while the switch SX3008F is encapsulated in Ethernet, the data format is different and the interaction during data transfer is different, so your topology will not work.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-09 08:31:28

Hello again @Hank21 

Thank you for answering, 

So, despite the switch SX3008F has fiber ports, its data is encapsulated in Ethernet? 

Also thank you for advise me that with the Archer XR500V this topology would not work. Because we thought in this model as well. 

So, taking into account the scenario of the diagram, do you know if is there any model of alternative routers to install and fit in this topology?

Thank you

Regards

Options
2022-02-10 10:03:38

Dear @HJ_Comm ,

HJ_Comm wrote

So, despite the switch SX3008F has fiber ports, its data is encapsulated in Ethernet? 

Also thank you for advise me that with the Archer XR500V this topology would not work. Because we thought in this model as well. 

So, taking into account the scenario of the diagram, do you know if is there any model of alternative routers to install and fit in this topology?

Yes, its data is encapsulated in Ethernet.

You can consider the router ER7206, it has a SFP WAN, here is the link you can refer:

https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er7206/

Best Regards!

Options
2022-02-11 12:02:02

Hello again @Hank21 

I have spoken to our costumer today (before telling him your recommendations), and he told us that he bought another MC220L to try to connect directly a computer by ethernet. 

I mean, he connected with a transceiver SM321B the MC220L and keeping the 321A2. I update the diagram in order to share you the trial he did. 

I think this should work, but it did not, even he tried to change the transceivers (B in switch and A2 in MC220L as in the first one). Do you know if there is something we are forgetting? Because the first time, we also applied the same port speed in the SX3008F. 

Thanks for your help

Regards

Options
2022-02-14 10:49:48

Hello again, 

This weekend the customer told me that this last topology diagram finally works. The fiber is ok. The only problem is that the computer has not IP assigned, despite the pc detects the ethernet. Do you know if there is something "to enable" (because isn't by default and it is needed) in the SX3008F? Because is the main router who provides the DHCP. Thanks. 

Regards

Options
2022-03-17 15:53:06

@HJ_Comm 

All is working properly, customer will told us if there is any device to install. But for now is all ok. 

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 894

Replies: 9

Related Articles