TL-SG116E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SG116E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-SG116E
TL-SG116E
2022-02-08 13:06:44 - last edited 2022-02-09 00:53:21
Model: TL-SG116E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am thinking about purchasing one of these devices. TL-SG116E. I have an entry call box system at the front door and the IP address keeps changing, and does not allow me to set a static IP address. If I purchase this switch, and assign a static IP address to the switch, then plug the entry call box to the switch, will that resolve my problem? Or will the IP address continue to change?

It was my understanding that the switch does not give out IP address, but maybe this switch is different? Thank anyone for the help.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-SG116E
2022-02-09 10:24:53

@cboshy 

Generally speaking, the IP address of your call box system is obtained from the DHCP Server in your network, for example, a router.

Even if you connect this switch to your network and set a static IP for this switch, it has nothing to do with the IP change of the devices behind the switch.

Because this IP of the switch is also assigned by the DHCP Server.

But if you choose managed Switch, here is the Manual Binding function may meet your needs. Look at this:

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-02-10 07:28:41

@cboshy The previous answer is correct. To go more into detail:

1. Any device can be configured to receive its IP address from the DHCP Server (usually your Router) - which is the default nowadays. 
    Some routers offer the option, to always assign the same IP address to a given device. But that differs from router to router. 
  2. But 99% of the devices can also be configured to a static IP address. That config option is found in different locations for each device. If you do that, make sure that your DHCP server (the router) does not assign that static IP address to another device too - each IP MUST be unique. 
  3. Many devices support hostnames (mDNS) instead of IP addresses. I am not an expert on that but in the times of IPv6 is becoming more and more common, it will be impossible to remember those numbers and you rather want to stick to names.
Options
2022-02-11 12:20:58

Thank you everyone for the responses. :) 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 613

Replies: 3

Related Articles