I have two (but I plan on upgrading to three) TL-SG108E switches connected to a TL-SG2008, now what?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

I have two (but I plan on upgrading to three) TL-SG108E switches connected to a TL-SG2008, now what?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-23 05:04:16 - last edited 2022-02-23 06:53:19
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've heard great things about TP-Link's switches (even for home networks) so I opted to get the TL-SG108E and TL-SG2008 switches.  I'm planning on using the TL-SG2008 switch as almost a Layer 3 intermediary device, with the TL-SG108E L2 switches connected to the actual end devices and "dumb" switches (a different brand). 

I'm very much new to having equipment of my own and decided to get business switches partly because I'm planning to take my CCNA in six months and so I thought that exposure to actual hardware and having a stake in it (literally the portion of my network over ethernet) would be challenging, but fun as well, and it has been.  

So my challenges so far have been the fact that I cannot have a wire connect my (currently two) TL-SG108E switches without taking down one branch of my "ethernetwork" associated with one of the switches, while taking that wire out simply restored everything back to working order.  Also, this may have been a rookie mistake, but I attempted to connect two different ethernet connections between the TL-SG2008 and my ISP gateway, so I want to just make sure that there isn't anything actually wrong with my switches since, though I kept the boxes, I really don't want to have to return anything.

My vision for my network is to have around four VLANs (my office, general, bedroom, and downstairs office) for the TL-SG2008 switch (I currently have two of them set since I only have two of the TL-SG108E switches so far) while I want each switch to be configured to have different VLANs of their own (which I somewhat have configured in the two that I have), but I'm just afraid of connecting the switches together again.

I'm also hoping for any recommendations on access points and routers as, while I would get the Omada APs and VPN router, I've read that the home DECO mesh network routers (that I know can be used as access points as well) and the home AX routers may be the best options for me simply because I want to only deal with one ethernet cable between the gateway/router and the main AP hub, while I need ethernet backhaul to the downstairs office and my parents' closet (where the former homeowners placed the server rack), and I would also like to ensure that a router that I get can be configured with the VPN that I already use (Surfshark).

The overall goal of this is to build a home/small business network that allows my father (whose home office is downstairs in our sunroom that's technically outside of the house) to use his VoIP service and connect to ethernet, allows me to get ethernet at my various workstations (I'm trying to start up my business and also work full-time), while simultaneously getting better WiFi in general (I have my gateway on one side of the house near my office, but my bedroom and my parents' bedroom are on the other side, which is why I have a mess of cables wired to this side of the house upstairs - I own the house so I took the liberty of justifying to my mother exactly why I need this formerly ugly set of cables lol).  While I know where to start, I don't know the way forward, both to alleviate some of those issues that I outlined and to build up and complete this network (for now at least).

Any help towards that goal would be much appreciated, thank you!

Options
2 Reply
Re:I have two (but I plan on upgrading to three) TL-SG108E switches connected to a TL-SG2008, now what?
2022-02-24 01:42:35

@cftxp It will be more easier to do the VLAN settings with Omada Controller. A tp-link omada router is recommended since it can also be managed by controller, so you don't need to care about static routing or multinets NAT etc.. Tplink has made a video about it: https://youtu.be/-mkU3rI9coE

But the TL-SG108E cannot support Omada so we have to do the VLAN settings manually. One point is: Put the uplink port(of TL-SG108E) to all VLANs as Tagged. 

Check the Example 2 in this article: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/788/

Options
Re:I have two (but I plan on upgrading to three) TL-SG108E switches connected to a TL-SG2008, now what?
2022-02-25 05:22:46

@Somnus thanks for the response.  And yes, I have read about the controller with the Omada router and, particularly with the TL-SG2008, the SafeStream router is recommended according to their website.  However, I'm wondering about the access points since, other than the controller (not sure which one would be the best fit), it looks like I would have to use the Omada APs as well.  While I don't mind using at least one to handle some traffic (ideally guest traffic), I would like to know if I can simultaneously use a different access point solution, like the X20 or X60 Deco access points. 

The reason why I favor them is because they offer remote ethernet wherever they're plugged in.  As I stated in my post, I did want a solution where I could ideally get remote ethernet in the sunroom so my father could use the two ethernet ports in the AP that I'll put in the sunroom for his VoIP phone and his laptop.  I've also watched several recommendations and read several reviews about the Decos' excellent capacity to foster a consistently fast and reliable mesh network. 

However, I also want the ability to create a guest network (even if it isn't necessarily a mesh solution) which I know isn't exactly possible on the Deco APs.  I also just so happen to have an extra 50 ft Cat 8 ethernet cable that goes to the center of the house where such a solution would be ideal for a post-pandemic situation where both my father and I are able to host clients (as well as entertain guests) and give them the option of using safe and secure WiFi.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 658

Replies: 2

Related Articles