Low Auto Negotiation Speed between Switch (TL-SG3428XMP) and AP (EAP660HD)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-05 03:33:57
Model: TL-SG3428XMP  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.03

Gdday,

I have 3 different sites using the TL-SG3428XMP switch. And in all 3 sites, the auto negotiation speed on the ports connected to POE devices is only showing 100mbps. The POE powered device at the other end is a TPLink EAP660HD. I have tried using different ports and different cable lengths, and the results are the same.

Please assist to provide solution or additional setup/troubleshooting steps.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Low Auto Negotiation Speed between Switch (TL-SG3428XMP) and AP (EAP660HD)
2022-05-05 10:17:48

@HarrysVilla 

You can try to set the port of the switch manually to force negotiation to 1000M, refer to the following figure:

Or try to use the switch in standalone mode to test if this issue is caused by controller.

And if the controller's firmware version is not the latest one, you can upgrade it to test.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-05-05 13:35:12

@Virgo 

I tried to manually force speed to 1000M and the APs gets disconnected and isolated.

As for firmware, all devices have the latest.

Also tried to manage the switch independently i.e. disassociated from controller; problem persists.

Tried connecting to another POE switch and the APs negotiate at 1000M.

There appears to be a problem with the TL-SG3428XMP switch.

And multiple emails to TPLink remin unanswered!

Options
2022-05-06 07:11:10

@HarrysVilla 

Your question is indeed a bit strange, I myself have a similar device are able to auto-negotiate to.
Strongly recommend that you check the network cable, because each switch negotiates different thresholds, even if the same cable, and another switch negotiated to 1000, with this one is not necessarily.
It is recommended to use a short 1-meter network cable to test it and replace a few more cables for testing.

Also a little curious, the other POE switch model is?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-05-06 07:22:43

@Virgo 

Yes I do find it strange as well. I even tried using a short one meter cable (factory terminated CAT8) but the issue remains.

And I mentioned before, I do not think the issue is with the EAP660HD because the AP comfortably negotiated to 1000M when I used other POE switches to test.

I used a TL-1016PE and TL1008MP to test.

Note, I am facing this problem in 3 different sites with similar hardware on either ends of the setup so I don't think the problem is the cabling.

Even if it was the cable, why should it affect all the APs in all 3 sites.

Fyi, all sites have the TL-SG3428XMP switch and 3-4 APs (EAP660HD) per site.

Options
2022-05-09 04:48:30

HarrysVilla wrote

Gdday,

I have 3 different sites using the TL-SG3428XMP switch. And in all 3 sites, the auto negotiation speed on the ports connected to POE devices is only showing 100mbps. The POE powered device at the other end is a TPLink EAP660HD. I have tried using different ports and different cable lengths, and the results are the same.

Please assist to provide solution or additional setup/troubleshooting steps.

Dear  @HarrysVilla 

To assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support team who will contact you with your registered email address later.

Please pay attention to the email box for follow-up. Thank you so much for your cooperation and patience.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-05-09 05:40:21

@Hank21 

Gdday,

Thanks for your assist. Fyi, before posting on this community forum, I sent multiple emails to TPlink SMB support, but never received any response from them. I hope this assist from you will make a difference. Meanwhile, I have exhausted all options and troubleshooting steps. If there is no solution, I guess I will have to discard the TPLink switch and look for alternative. This means changing the entire hardware at all sites.

Brgds/SH

Options
2022-05-13 10:36:39

@HarrysVilla 

I'm getting the same products, I hope the issue has been resolved by now. I'll try and provide feedback soon.

Since you have multiple of these switches, have you tried using TP-Link TXM431-SR SFP+ 10gig module?

Options
2022-05-13 10:46:02

@uncensored 

Issue not resolved and TPLink response was that they could not recreate the issue in their lab. My resolve to move away from the Omada infra for now, one site already migrated to Ubiquiti and another two sites as soon as my hardware arrives.

I have not tried out the 10G module you asked about. All my sites has only one switch and multiple end points (devices).

Options
2022-05-13 11:26:01

@HarrysVilla 

I was looking for the CRS328-24P-4S+RM from mikrotik but i was given a delivery time in september(!) which is insane in my opinion. Therefore I had to find an alternative and purchased this switch instead.

My plan does not use the switch to power eap devices since I want to use 2.5gb for the access points but I want to test the situation and provide some feedback to others.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 982

Replies: 9

Related Articles