Is a Second CPE710 required?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-26 04:29:14
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have not been able to find this information anywhere about a best solution for providing access outdoors for about 500 feet with a few trees mixed in.

As option 1, Am I able to beam an internet signal to a small area (my boat/dock) that is located 500 feet from my house using only a single CPE710? Run it in AP mode? Or do I need some kind of client?

As a second option, could I beam the cpe710 internet signal to an EAP225 located 300 feet from house and then use that to connect to boat ( and to small beach area). With this option, I assume I would setup the 710 in AP mode and the 225 in repeater mode?

As a third option, swap out the cpe710 in option 2 with an eap225.

Fourth option, something else?

thanks for any insights.

note that I have tried running a cat7 cable about 350 feet to an EAP225 and performance went from 400mps near my house to 40mbps. when I added another 100 feet of cable, performance of WiFi dropped to 10mbps.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Is a Second CPE710 required?
2022-05-27 08:45:42

@CovMan 

First of all, since the place where you want to extend the network is a bit far away from the AP CPE - about 500feet, it is recommended to use two CPEs for point-to-point use, and the other CPE is used as Client mode to receive the signal from the AP CPE at your end of the router.

As to whether the CPE can transmit the signal to the EAP, the answer is yes, the CPE can transmit the WiFi signal over such a long distance, but the problem is that the EAP is designed to be used for wireless network expansion, not point-to-point directional transmission or reception of signals, so the EAP may not be able to receive the signal from this end of the CPE over such a long distance.

The most classic topology is ROUTER-----AP CPE)))((((CLIENT CPE-----AP))((((PHONE/PC

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-05-27 17:29:52

@Virgo thank you so much.

how about this idea? Take the CPE 710 out of the equation.

Instead, put a EAP225 outside my house and a second EAP225 300 feet away. Then our boat would be 200 feet from the second EAP. We have a second EAP in hand which is why I ask.

if I did above, how would I setup? The 1st in extender mode and second in AP mode? Or setup as a mesh?

thank you 

trying to setup this weekend

Options
2022-05-30 06:25:03

@CovMan 

This program may be possible, but it is recommended that the actual test on site, the feeling that the distance between the two EAP is still a bit far, it is recommended to understand a few of these articles, written very carefully:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2283/

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2949/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-10-13 10:00:17 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:01:45

@CovMan I know I am late to the game on this question but I figured adding my information may help someone with a similar question.

I use a CPE710 mounted outside and wired to my router inside. The CPE710 is connected in client mode to an EAP610 Outdoor that is wired to the sites modem in another structure. Excellent results with full bandwidth delivered. In addition to this there is an EAP225 Outdoor that is wireless, a couple hundred feet from the EAP610 Outdoor and about 60 feet of that is tree coverage. You can barely catch line of sight between the two through the gaps in the trees.  A CPE710 is wired to the EAP225 and connected to the EAP610 in client mode. Performance here is excellent as well with minimal signal loss.  In that last scenario, prior to adding the CPE710,  I had the EAP225 connected to the EAP610 in mesh and would get a max of 75Mbps on a good day.  When I eliminated the Mesh connection between them and added the CPE710, results were about 270Mbps.

So in my opinion, although the typical use is two CPE710 aim at each other, the results are excellent when using just one.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1411

Replies: 4