CPE710 P2P setup - hiding AP's SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-22 09:02:02
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.3.0 Build 20211216 Rel: 41372(0000)

Hiya,

I've been using a pair of CPE510's in Maxtream mode of a couple of years now to connect my house to my garden office and I've just bought a pair of CPE710s to replace them (so I can take advantage of the gigabit NIC). Okay - I should have done my homework - the 710 does not support Maxtream. Not that I really need it for performance reasons - it was just nice to have the connection "hidden" from other devices (as Maxtream uses a proprietary protocol).

I want to do much the same with the 710s so I thought I'd try turning off SSID broadcast on the AP and connecting manually. I've got them set up fine as P2P using the standard installation instructions but as soon as I untick the "Broadcast SSID" box on the AP, the connection to the client breaks.

Other devices that I've used have allowed connection to APs with hidden SSIDs, for example, TP-Link and GL-iNet travel routers, so have I just made a schoolboy error somewhere? If it's not possible I suppose I could I simply put in a MAC address filter so only the client 710 can connect but I'd rather have an neater solution and an "invisible" AP.

Thanks!

Ades

Options
2 Reply
Re:CPE710 P2P setup - hiding AP's SSID
2022-06-23 07:45:35

@Ades I feel like it is related to the channels. Disable SSID broadcasting should not break the existing connection.

On STATUS page->In the Wireless Settings section, you will be able to see the current SSID channel. You may double check if this channel has been changed once you uncheck the "SSID broadcast".

You can test the AP SSID via your mobile phone. Uncheck the SSIDbroadcasting, then on the mobile phone try to connect the network manually and see if it can be connected.

Another concern is on Client CPE settings, when you configure (survey) the SSID, choose "Lock to this AP" will be better.

Options
Re:CPE710 P2P setup - hiding AP's SSID
2022-06-23 09:58:48

@Somnus Many thanks,

I'm just waiting for a new mounting pole to arrive so I've got a temporary setup for a few days - a 510 AP and a 710 Client. Once I've got the pair of 710s up I'll have a play!

More at the weekend!

CU

Ades

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 681

Replies: 2

Related Articles