Network Discovery

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Network Discovery

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Network Discovery
Network Discovery
2022-07-04 15:45:43

My church purchased a full line of TP-Link devices to build a new network.

ER605 (TL-605R)

OC200

2:  TL-SG2008P (one switch is in the church office, the other is in the audio/visual control room)

The switch in the audio/visual control room is a VLAN.

The issue I am having is the computers plugged into the switch do not see each in Network Discovery.  The computers are the same model (ordered at the same time).  The only difference is one has already upgraded to Windows 11.  A friend works with computers and teaches computers worked to map a folder between the two last week.  He said the computers see each other on the command line but not Network Discovery through File Explorer.  He got it done, but the folder quit working.  These two computers saw each other before the VLAN was set up.

I emailed small business help.  So far I have received a manual on how to set up a network.  Today I was told it might be a firewall.  With the Windows firewall off they did not see each other.

Any help would be much appreciated.

C.Ashley

Options
5 Reply
Re:Network Discovery
2022-07-05 12:47:02

@CAshley 

It looks like the problem is with your VLAN settings.

Are you specifically setting up 802.1Q VLAN or VLAN Interface, and be aware that the port connected to the computer should be Untagged port.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-07-06 11:44:20

@Virgo 

I will check the ports this afternoon.

What is the difference in the two VLAN's you mentioned?  We tried to set up a basic VLAN for the audio/visual department.

C.Ashley

Options
2022-07-06 13:33:33

How do I fix network discovery?

Expand the Private (current profile) menu. From Network discovery, select the Turn on network discovery and Turn on automatic setup of network-connected devices options. From File and printer sharing, select the Turn on file and printer sharing option. Click Save changes and check if the problem is now solved.

Hope this helps

Options
2022-07-07 05:34:57

@CAshley 

VLANs are generally used in simple and basic network isolation and do not generally involve multiple network segments etc. You can read this detailed article:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2149/

And VLAN Interface is generally accompanied by different Interface can be assigned different subnet IP address to the back-end devices, but creating VLAN Interface alone will not play the role of isolation, they can communicate with each other, you need to set ACL again to isolate.
You can refer to this: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/887/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-07-08 23:59:28 - last edited 2022-07-09 00:12:55

Network Discovery is turned on with both computers.  I made sure all other settings for network discovery to work are also on.  Using the Omada cloud port isolation is off for the ports the computers are using.  Under profiles the VLAN is untagged.  I have 2 options - all or LAN.  The VLAN's name is grayed out.

I turned off the VLAN, and both computers appeared in each's Network under File Explorer.

Obviously it is a setting with the VLAN, but I do not know where to look.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 529

Replies: 5

Related Articles