What kind of SC connector does this device use: APC, UPC, PC, nevermind?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-12 11:23:06 - last edited 2022-07-14 04:58:54

Hello there.

I just bought a pair of devices TL-FC311A-2 and TL-FC311B-2.

I can't see anywhere on documentation what kind of SC connector does this device use: APC, UPC, PC, nevermind?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:What kind of SC connector does this device use: APC, UPC, PC, nevermind?-Solution
2022-07-13 07:54:28 - last edited 2022-07-14 04:58:54

@TelesurGC 

If I remember correctly, it is UPC.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:What kind of SC connector does this device use: APC, UPC, PC, nevermind?-Solution
2022-07-13 07:54:28 - last edited 2022-07-14 04:58:54

@TelesurGC 

If I remember correctly, it is UPC.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:What kind of SC connector does this device use: APC, UPC, PC, nevermind?
2022-07-13 08:29:38

Thank you for your reply! I've tried to gather this info through a ticket, phone call and chat with no luck at the moment.

I don't understand why they don't indicate this info on specs frown

Options
2022-08-02 23:27:08

TelesurGC wrote

Hello there.

I just bought a pair of devices TL-FC311A-2 and TL-FC311B-2.

I can't see anywhere on documentation what kind of SC connector does this device use: APC, UPC, PC, nevermind?  

I too inquired of tech tech support about this issue and didn’t receive a coherent answer. I was advised to make sure both cable ends used the same polish treatment as the “remote” end had (?)

It should not be this difficult to simply obtain the polish type that the manufacturer has used on the fiber ports of these models of media converters! It should be listed on the data sheet following the “SC” specification. I have no intention of having a potentially expensive custom fiber cable made for my application only to find that it is useless because I “guessed” at the polish applied to the two SC ends.

Options
2022-08-16 14:54:08 - last edited 2022-08-16 14:54:42

I have the same problem. I don't know why TP LINK does not mention the type of SC anywhere.

I read on the internet:

"One thing that should be noted is that APC and UPC connectors cannot and should not be mated. Not only does mating cause poor performance because the fiber cores will not touch, but it can also destroy both connectors."

"APC and UPC polishing types are not compatible. If you connect an APC polished connector (and vice versa) to the UPC polished connector, both of them will have a polished surface damaged."

SC/UPC cables are hard to find.

e.g. The RS has all optical fibers except one, as SC / SC. So is this compatible to connect the TL 311A-2 and B-2?

Options
2022-08-18 21:54:59

@kostas6a3 

Thanks kostas6a3 for your response on this issue. I have made NO headway on this since I originally posted. I did notice on Virgo's post, at the bottom of his reply, the star with the comment "Recommended Solution" and wonder who added this and what specifically it means ? I'm just not comfortable with purchasing the media converters and having a custom cable built up off the comment "if I remember correctly". I too, am finding that coming up with the required outdoor aerial cable is not simple. Several of the "custom" cable making companies I've been in touch with are telling me they can't provide what I need for various reasons and several others have said "we'll get back to you" and I'm still waiting. I noticed that the cable you referenced in your post from RS Pro, while terminated with "SC" connectors, did not list anywhere that I could find, what "polish" was used or available on it!

Options
2022-11-02 14:09:58

@TelesurGC 

Don't know if anyone is still interested in this.

Imho all TP-Link fibre-products (SFP/SFP+-Module, Converter,...) are with (U)PC-Connectors, either with LC or SC connectors. Never have seen any brand which uses APC in the devices. APC is mainly used in the infrastructure, on patchpanels for example. May in some OTDR-Tools and similar, but not in "enddevices".

One of the main reasons is the compatibility, imho. There are some different angles of the APC connectors out there. For sure, in the present most are 8° but there were some 7° and other angles in the past. The straight (U)PC-connectors are the same all around the globe.

Cheers!
Options
2023-01-22 21:36:19

@TelesurGC According to the documentation, these devices use an APC (Angled Physical Contact) connector for the SC port. This type of connector is known for its low insertion loss and high return loss, making it a popular choice for high-speed fiber optic communication systems. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the APK of these devices.

Options
2023-02-06 21:07:31

@TelesurGC  The type of SC connector used in TP-Link devices can vary, depending on the specific model and application. Some TP-Link devices use UPC (Ultra Physical Contact) connectors, while others use APC (Angled Physical Contact) connectors. If you have a specific TP-Link device in mind, you can consult the product specifications or manual for more information on the type of SC connector used. Feel free to ask any question about this APK.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1354

Replies: 10