Need access between 2 sub-networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-20 16:38:18 - last edited 2022-07-26 01:39:24
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

1Gb Fiber----WAN-Netgear R7000-LAN****************WAN-NetgearR7000-LAN ^^^^^^^^^WiFi Cameras

192.168.1.1                                                          192.168.2.1

This is my existing operational networks connected with 80' of CAT6 ********

1. Need access to WiFi cameras on Network 2 from Network 1

2.  Still maintain internet access on Network 2

Have a new ER605 Router and Tl-SG108E Switch available for use.

Need advise on how to make this change, if possible.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Need access between 2 sub-networks-Solution
2022-07-21 07:43:34 - last edited 2022-07-26 01:39:24

@Coldsprings Here is my suggestions:

1. Use ER605 to repalce the 1st Netgear, to connect the Modem;

2. Create the two VLAN networks in ER605, for example port 4 VLAN10, 192.168.1.1; and port 5 VLAN 20 192.168.2.1;

3. Change both Netgear routers into Access Point mode, and connect them to ER605 port 4 and port 5.

TPlink has an example, basically the same requirement but you don't need the last Access Controll settings:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3061/

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Need access between 2 sub-networks-Solution
2022-07-21 07:43:34 - last edited 2022-07-26 01:39:24

@Coldsprings Here is my suggestions:

1. Use ER605 to repalce the 1st Netgear, to connect the Modem;

2. Create the two VLAN networks in ER605, for example port 4 VLAN10, 192.168.1.1; and port 5 VLAN 20 192.168.2.1;

3. Change both Netgear routers into Access Point mode, and connect them to ER605 port 4 and port 5.

TPlink has an example, basically the same requirement but you don't need the last Access Controll settings:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3061/

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Need access between 2 sub-networks
2022-07-21 15:52:46

@Somnus 

Thanks for your response.  I received another similar resolution from a different source but it suggested using the ER605 by setting up to VLAN ports with a single address pointing to the base addresses of the 2 routers.  eg.  1 port with address 192.168.1.2 and 1 port with address 192.168.2.2.  Then connecting these ports to the LAN of each of the routers.  The DHCP addressing of the 2 routers need to be changed to starting at .5 (192.168.1.5) instead of the .2 default.

I'll work on these 2 options to see how they work.

Options
2022-07-22 09:23:13

Further develop network execution and speed

A solitary transmission parcel conveys data that arrives at each gadget associated with that network in light of the fact that every gadget has a passage point into the organization. Countless passage focuses, nonetheless, can adversely influence inter network exchanging gadget execution, as well as your organization's general execution.
Decrease network clog

Subnetting guarantees that traffic bound from a gadget inside a subnet stays in that subnet, which lessens blockage. Through essential arrangement of subnets, you can assist with diminishing your organization's heap and all the more proficiently course traffic.
Support network security

You may think, "Imagine a scenario where a gadget in my organization is contained?" By parting your organization into subnet, you have some control over the progression of traffic utilizing ACLs, QoS, or course maps, empowering you to recognize dangers, close places of passage, and focus on your reactions all the more without any problem.

Ease organization

Is it true or not that you are an organization administrator? Then, at that point, subnetting is an easy decision since it can make your work significantly simpler. By subnetting, you can make networks that have more legitimate host limits, rather than the limits of IP tending to classes: Eight pieces for Class A, 16 pieces for Class B, and 24 pieces for Class C. Consider it along these lines, in the event that the web was restricted to just those three classes, each organization would have just 254, 64,000, or 16 million IP addresses for have gadgets.

Options
2022-07-22 15:21:01

@Coldsprings 

George112.  I have no idea what you are talking about and how your disertation  fits into my home network that is setup by an 86 year old tech, me!!

Options
2022-07-26 01:38:45

@Somnus 

I finally got the system running as you directed and all is well.  I created 2 VLANs one for each network and the way it went.  Thanks for the tip.....

Options
2022-08-01 05:58:09

If they differ in subnet mask, the more specific one (the higher CIDR number) will "win" and will be used. (One interesting side thing to mention is that you can think of /32 - or subnet mask 255.255.255.255 - as a shortcut that means "this specific IP" - so you can make traffic originating from your local system destined for a specific IP to go out a different interface - like a VPN interface - if you wanted by making a route table entry with a /32.)

Otherwise,here another value called the metric - the adapter with the lowest metric will be used. Typically you'd set faster adapters to have lower metrics. Your wired adapter should have a lower metric than your wireless for this reason.

If they are same CIDR and equal metric your system might pick one and then stick with it, or load balance between them. This may be configurable depending on your OS and drivers.

your system wants to send traffic somewhere but it doesn't have a routing table entry? It uses the default gateway - this consists of an IP address (which must be reachable by some other local routing rule.) Typically this will point to your Internet-facing router on your same LAN in a home setup, and is set by DHCP though you can set it manually too as you probably already know.

you don't have a default gateway? It drops the traffic and doesn't send it.

you have multiple default gateways? It will probably either pick a random one and stick with it or it might load balance between them. This may be configurable depending on your OS and drivers.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 509

Replies: 7

Related Articles