Please recommend a switch for my home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-30 02:16:00

Hi All,

Lets assume that I am on a limited budget and product availability is lacking on a 24-port Jetstream switch, so it is not an option. Which Jetstream switch combination should I invest in if I need to connect following? I am willing to daisy chain two 8-port POE switches if required. I will connect 6 PCs to an SG2008 switch.

10x Vigi POE cameras

16-port Vigi NVR

2 Omada EAPs

Omada OC200 cloud controller

Omada Er605 VPN Router

Omada SG2008 switch

Thank you

Ps. I have tried to consult with the online sellers. All the ones I spoke with are complete morons. They love to recommend the most expensive non-Omada related, obsolete products.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Please recommend a switch for my home
2022-08-31 10:24:13

@NoMadPH 

If you need PoE function, you will need TL-G2008P. I believe the "P" on the end means PoE.

There are not many Omada compatible switches we can choose, since they are managed switches and not "cheap" for home usage.

Do you need to configure multi-nets local network? Or any advanced switch settings like ACL? If no, then an unmanaged switch could be more suitable. You can buy more ports like TL-SG1016PE. This switch cannot be managed by Omada Controller however it still supports VLAN and some basic switch configurations.

Options
Re:Please recommend a switch for my home
2022-08-31 20:10:43

@Somnus thanks for the suggestions. no need for special vlans or access controls for now since i'm the only one managing this network. I just need to make sure the smart devices and guests cant reach my NAS and personal computers. The TL-G2008 should take care of that. I ran into an TL-SG1218MP (18 port /16 port PEO) for only $50 more than the SG1016PE. That should be enough to run 10 POE Vigi camers, a few EAPs and a controller. I wonder If I missed anything else.

Options