Looking for device recommendation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-09 17:11:18
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new device recommendation.

I have two CPE510's about to be deployed to extend internet to a remote part of my property.

Instead of using only ethernet cable to connect the Access Point CPE510 into my home's Deco M90 mesh network, which would require drilling another hole in the side of my home, I'd rather connect it by purchasing another OUTDOOR class device to connect to the Access Point CPE510 to bridge the network wirelessly into my home. Distance from the new device to the closest M90 will be about 20 to 25 feet.

Any recommendations on which device to use?

Am I correct that this new device would be best configured to operate in "bridge" mode?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Options
8 Reply
Re:Looking for device recommendation
2022-09-12 08:19:34

@mrjones1 

If the distance only have 20 to 25 feet, you can consider using the EAP outdoor product to extend WiFi, but the EAP also requires a wired connection to the router to extend WiFi.

CPE products are not recommended for Bridge mode:

CPE is equipped with directional antenna as it is designed for point-to-point long-distance network transmission, its wireless signal is mainly focused on its front panel and has a very limited degree angle, we can say that there is almost no signal on its side and back panel. If you use it on repeater mode, the performance may not be so good, and it requires that both the front-end Internet source device and client device should be all within cpe wifi angle.
You can refer this link to see cpe wifi angle:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1044/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-09-12 18:23:16

Hi  @Virgo,

Thanks for the assistance. The EAP devices were initially on my list, until as you confirm, I figured out they require a wired connection to the router (which I assume could be any Deco in a mesh network).

I'm currently looking at the Powerline extender devices (ethernet over power) to get the signal through the wall. They would work nicely, but I'd still have to build an enclosure to protect the outside one from the elements.

I may just end up buying a Deco M5 and put it in a ventilated enclosure outside to protect it, its power adapter, and the POE adapter for the CPE from the weather.

Options
2022-09-12 19:53:02

Hi  @Virgo,

One more question. On a kit like TL-WPA7517KIT (AV1000 wired + AV1000 wireless), normally the AV1000 is connected via ethernet cable to a router, and the AV1000 wireless is used as an access point for wireless devices. Can the roles be reversed?  i.e. Could I use the AV1000 wireless to connect to wirelessly connect to a Deco M9, and use the AV1000 connected via ethernet cable to the CPE510 Access Point?

Like this:

Deco M9 <- WIFI -> AV1000 wireless <- power line -> AV1000 <- ethernet cable -> CPE510 Access Point <- WIFI -> CPE510 Client <-ethernet cable-> Deco M5

Options
2022-09-14 04:02:55

@mrjones1 

All these products you have seem to be Home products and this side of the section is for Business products, it's hard to get a proper answer, maybe you can go to the Home section and ask again.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-01-28 14:05:33 - last edited 2023-01-28 14:06:53

@mrjones1 not the answer you are looking for but.... bite the bullet and drill that hole. Reducing wireless connections whenever possible is always advantageous.

Options
2023-01-28 17:58:07

@RickJamesBish 

Good advice. I agree. I wasn't thrilled to see my options for doing that wirelessly, so I did exactly what you recommended and drilled that hole.

I did end up using a couple of power line adapters to get my signal from a mesh router, over to where that hole was drilled. So far that tested well just using a laptop plugged into one of the power line adapters.

I haven't finished all the outside work due to it being winter and I don't use the remote internet in the winter for that part of the property. But, I don't anticipate any issues with that since I already have remote internet setup on the opposite side of the property to a shop building that works well.

Options
2023-03-20 08:09:45

@mrjones1 I would recommend purchasing a Deco M9 Plus Outdoor Wi-Fi System to connect your CPE510 to your existing Deco M90 mesh network. The M9 Plus is specifically designed for outdoor use, and it can be configured to operate in bridge mode to extend your network coverage. It supports speeds up to 2.4 Gbps and has an IP67 water resistance rating for durability.

Options
2023-04-06 06:13:34

@mrjones1 Have you considered using a wireless bridge to connect the Access Point CPE510 to your Deco M90 mesh network? This type of device can send data from one network to another wirelessly and would be a great option for your situation, as it would avoid having to drill any holes in your home. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 516

Replies: 8