Switch to drop in place of Modem/Router relocation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-08 13:38:36 - last edited 2022-10-16 10:08:44

Here is a diagram showing my current setup and planned setup, with the "?" Indicating the device I need help deciding on. The POE devices are 48 volt.  I would prefer the switch to be Omada compatible and having a couple of extra ports would be a plus. So it looks like minimum I would need  6 POE ports (1 EAP + 1 OC200 + 4 Cameras) and then a port for uplink to Modem/ Router. Any help in picking the appropriate switch would be appreciated.   I was thinking the TL-SG2210MP  but if there is an even lower cost route that would be great as well.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Switch to drop in place of Modem/Router relocation-Solution
2022-10-13 09:23:39 - last edited 2022-10-16 10:08:44

@RickJamesBish 

Yes, TL-SG2210MP is a good choice.

This switch supports 802.3at/af POE and can undoubtedly power the OC200 and EAP.
However you will need to check if your POE IP cameras also support Standard POE and need to make sure they are compatible.

As far as I know, the ports on the switch are all the same, no distinction is made between the uplink and downlink ports.

The SFP port needs to be connected to an SFP Module in order to work, and preferably an SFP Module that supports 1000M.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Switch to drop in place of Modem/Router relocation
2022-10-10 14:11:56

Maybe someone can advise me on this then?  I am not familiar with the SFP Port. Is the uplink port or can any port on this switch be the uplink?  If the SFP port has to be the uplink, I am assuming I can just insert an ehternet SFP module, is that correct?   I am 8 days away from needing something in hand for our ISP swap over from 300/32 to Gigabit and Business Chat is not responding.

Options
Re:Switch to drop in place of Modem/Router relocation-Solution
2022-10-13 09:23:39 - last edited 2022-10-16 10:08:44

@RickJamesBish 

Yes, TL-SG2210MP is a good choice.

This switch supports 802.3at/af POE and can undoubtedly power the OC200 and EAP.
However you will need to check if your POE IP cameras also support Standard POE and need to make sure they are compatible.

As far as I know, the ports on the switch are all the same, no distinction is made between the uplink and downlink ports.

The SFP port needs to be connected to an SFP Module in order to work, and preferably an SFP Module that supports 1000M.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Switch to drop in place of Modem/Router relocation
2022-10-13 10:10:06

@Virgo thanks for the response.

I ordered it and a module for ethernet cable and they will be here today. I probably didn't need the module as you stated but I figured it would free up another of the ports. The cameras are good to go. They actually do not support POE natively. I have POE Splitters that are 802.3af, fed by 48v and output 12v to the cameras. 

I am hoping I can drop the switch in now before we crossover to Gigabit and just have it ready to go.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 255

Replies: 3

Related Articles