Network switch drops connection daily

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-19 21:52:18 - last edited 2022-10-25 19:19:07
Tags: #disconnection
Model: TL-SG1016D   TL-SG116  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: N/a

The connection in my home drops at least once a day.

I ended up replacing ALL devices and cables, but the problem persisted. I ran out of ideas to fix this problem. Our ISP says everything up to and including the modem is fine.

I'm now in this weird zone of trouble shooting, thinking it might be interference from the 2 DB's next to the network switch? They are both about 50-60 cm from the switch. I read the manual at a later stage and they do ward against placing the switch next to electromagnetic fields. But moving it will require cabling again so I wanted to gauge if this is worth doing.

My reasoning is due to the fact that only the routers after the network switch drop. Restarting the network switch is the ONLY way to get them to reconnect. However, the main router never drops the connection even though it's in the same location as the switch.

It's a fairly standard cable setup: modem > main router (EERO) > network switch (TL-SG1016D) > other routers (EERO). All cables are shielded CAT6.

I tried switching back to my older SG116 but the problem persisted.

Could it be that TP Link devices are just bad? I keep reading they have a high failure rate on forums.

Thanks!

Quote from the manual: "Locate the Switch far from strong electromagnetic field generators (such as motors), vibration, dust, and direct exposure to sunlight."

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Network switch drops connection daily-Solution
2022-10-25 19:19:03 - last edited 2022-10-25 19:19:07

UPDATE:

The problem still exists, it just doesn't happen as often since adding the oven tray for some weird reason.

It used to disconnect every day. The oven tray made an improvement. It went on about 5 days without disconnecting; which I never experienced before. It was a really nice change not having to worry about it. But it disconnected twice today.

I tried reaching out to my ISP again.

My several attempts over the years didn't prove fruitful, they always said there's nothing wrong. The last time around (about 2 months ago), their technician said that everything leading up to the ONT box (modem?) was fine. So, I had moved on from thinking the problem might be caused from their side.

I managed to find the manual of their ONT device and did some digging. I called, insisted someone come have a look again. This time around, the guy said there's MULTIPLE problems with the device, and even the firmware wasn't updated for YEARS. To add insult to injury, they could even see all the times my service dropped. But whenever I asked about it before, I was told everything is fine.

I insisted on a replacement, and got a new ONT device (...modem?) from them. It once again feels like the issue has been resolved.

Internet speed test shows better results. Jumped from 650-700 to about 850-900. Even though my subscription is for 750mbps. Using the internet seems to be more responsive. I removed the oven tray, everything is neat again.

I will be monitoring over the next few days, weeks, and months. Hopefully, it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Network switch drops connection daily
2022-10-21 06:48:46

@malawar 

The next time a drop occurs, disconnect the switch from the front-end router, set a static IP with two PCs and Ping each other to check connectivity between the switch ports.

Also, if you have two routers at home, two NAT devices, two DHCP Servers?
It is generally not recommended to set up a network this way.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Network switch drops connection daily
2022-10-23 02:41:10 - last edited 2022-10-25 19:16:14

@Virgo 

I didn't do any of that.

Instead, I covered the network switch with aluminum foil and an old metal oven tray from IKEA. That seemed to do the trick.

Haven't had any disconnections going on 4 days now.

Options
Re:Network switch drops connection daily-Solution
2022-10-25 19:19:03 - last edited 2022-10-25 19:19:07

UPDATE:

The problem still exists, it just doesn't happen as often since adding the oven tray for some weird reason.

It used to disconnect every day. The oven tray made an improvement. It went on about 5 days without disconnecting; which I never experienced before. It was a really nice change not having to worry about it. But it disconnected twice today.

I tried reaching out to my ISP again.

My several attempts over the years didn't prove fruitful, they always said there's nothing wrong. The last time around (about 2 months ago), their technician said that everything leading up to the ONT box (modem?) was fine. So, I had moved on from thinking the problem might be caused from their side.

I managed to find the manual of their ONT device and did some digging. I called, insisted someone come have a look again. This time around, the guy said there's MULTIPLE problems with the device, and even the firmware wasn't updated for YEARS. To add insult to injury, they could even see all the times my service dropped. But whenever I asked about it before, I was told everything is fine.

I insisted on a replacement, and got a new ONT device (...modem?) from them. It once again feels like the issue has been resolved.

Internet speed test shows better results. Jumped from 650-700 to about 850-900. Even though my subscription is for 750mbps. Using the internet seems to be more responsive. I removed the oven tray, everything is neat again.

I will be monitoring over the next few days, weeks, and months. Hopefully, it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 582

Replies: 3

Tags

disconnection