CPE210 reach ISPs router, but PC not

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-03 22:31:36
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: V3.2_20200612

Hi there,

I'm having trouble to get my CPE210 working in a new setup after a couple of months without using it.

The device worked properly in all modes the "last time" I played with the different configurations, being "Bridge" my previously selected configuration, with a distance of +/- 300m and working 24/7, outdoor, for around 5 months, with a good uptime % and connection stability .

Last week I moved my home office downstairs, and the signal from my (from ISP provided) router (a Sercomm fg284cd) doesn't have enough power to reach the room losing the connection randomly, so I decided to add the CPE210 to the setup.

Than started the Odyssey (already invested around 8-9 hours trying to config the cpe, and config and re-config the sercomm...)

The first setup I tried was the Setup I already know, the bridge mode, with a second SSID.

After a couple of attempts, I said my self, "ok, let's try the Client mode", making the laptop-cpe connection by lan wire...  Nothing.

I remembered the "static/dynamic issue" I had the first time I used this device, so I reconfigured my (sercomm) network to the .0.1 subnet/device-ip, dhcp server to the .0 subnet with ip .254 assignation for the CPE, and configuring the CPE on the same subnet in dynamic mode. I tried later a "real dynamic ip" for the CPE too.

Well, that was a step forward as a ping to the sercomm from the Pharos interface was possible, even to 8.8.8.8 worked, but not from the laptop, both directions.....

But that was all.

My laptop got access to the internet (apparently, because a webpage like google or speedtest.net loaded the basic layout, but no data, showing the "working label" for a long while) 1 time with a AP-dynamic setup directly connected to the Sercomm by wire.

Since that moment, I tried all possible configurations:
CPE Client/dynamic, laptop dynamic (getting sometimes a 169.x.x.x ip?)

CPE Client/static with dhcp server, laptop dynamic

CPE client/static withouth dhcp server, laptop static

CPE Bridge/dynamic,laptop dynamic...

and so on, reaching a ping sometimes to the sercomm router, and sometimes 8.8.8.8 too from the cpe, but never from the laptop to the sercomm router.

I did a couple of hard-resets on the CPE AND sercomm router...with same results.

I looked for FW updates, but the CPE has the last one.

I'm a software developer and sysadmin of my own LAMP VPS, so I have some knowledge about troubleshooting and settings, but I have no more ideas.

I noticed that 2 pins on the POE rj45 port at the "cpe adapter" are like... light sulphuretted (from the ambient humidity?? It went never wet nor outdoor. I have other TPLink products, like a Tapo camera, a LTE-SIM Router, a smart-plug...and never saw something like that).

I would appreciate all type of advices as my next option would be to overwrite the default firmware with the OpenWrt FW (as I bought the device a couple of years ago, I think) or after try the "testmode" (I read about it but never used it as 11db is and was always enough power to do what I want)

Options
2 Reply
Re:CPE210 reach ISPs router, but PC not
2022-11-04 06:25:46

@igtpm 

Three things you may need to check:

1. The CPE210 can only use 2.4Ghz, and as we know, 2.4Ghz can be influenced by many factors.

It's suggested to try different channels on your main router;

2. The Ethernet cable from your PC to the PoE injector should be a short one;

3. Make sure there is no Access Control/MAC filtering or any limitation on your main router.

Options
Re:CPE210 reach ISPs router, but PC not
2022-11-05 21:10:07

Somnus wrote

@igtpm 

Three things you may need to check:

1. The CPE210 can only use 2.4Ghz, and as we know, 2.4Ghz can be influenced by many factors.

It's suggested to try different channels on your main router;

2. The Ethernet cable from your PC to the PoE injector should be a short one;

3. Make sure there is no Access Control/MAC filtering or any limitation on your main router.

Hi there @Somnus ,thanks for your advices, but however in the multiple configuratons I tried, all 3 were things I modified along the different setups.

1 · As I did the hard reset on the main router I thought on the channels too, making a "scanner" and choosing a channel that was relatively free (incredibly, but the 11, standard channel for most of commercial routers I had on the past). I tried on 9 and 13 (even as I know that my Macbook [that's not the "work" laptop I'm trying to connect via the CPE] "doesn't like" this channel).

Beside of that, I think if it were a channel issue, the CPE couldn't reach (or not always, or with delay) the router when I did the pings to the main router.

2· Same thing. I thought the typical "well...what if the wire is the problem?", so I tried with multiple cables with different sizes on both ports.

However, I had a 25m lan cable from PoE to the outdoor-cpe-location on my last setup and worked perfectly.

3· I checked it too...and it is (and never was) no filtering on the Sercomm.

I know that, normally, on from-isp-coming routers we can find "hidden settings" that are only accessible from a isp-admin account.... So I looked for the default "real admin user" and injected it vie JavaScript when loading the web interface from main router (The DHCP server address was hidden for the "normal admin", for example)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 294

Replies: 2

Related Articles