How do I design my setup at home using business solutions?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-10 21:25:35

I have Fibre at home and many devices so I'm looking at getting the following setup:

ONT -> Router -> Switch -> Patch Panel (near electrical) -> AP (walls and ethernet jacks)

For the router I was looking at the ER7206. I'm going to add a OC200 to it as well.

For the AP's I'll use 6 EAP-655's.

Each room in the house will have:

1 ethernet external

1 ethernet in wall (for AP)

cable

phone

I'm having trouble figuring out which switch to use, as I know it will need at least 8 but I wish for 16 ports. It needs "active" POE so I don't blow up other devices, and I'd like L2 features to secure down my network for the home office portion.

Is there a recommended setup for this scenario?

Options
7 Reply
Re:How do I design my setup at home using business solutions?
2022-11-15 05:24:57
Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-11-16 23:41:25

@Icehunter 

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I've found that very often one needs more ports than they think they need!

I have a SG3428X that was, what I thought was way more ports than I needed.  Now however...   :-)

Besides level 2 support, this switch has limited level 3 support included which gives more options.  It is Omada capable.

It inclures 4 ports that are 10G capable which makes it future compatable.  That's the X in the model name.

A SG3428 with a P at the end indicates POE and the M indicates POE plus which seems to be what you want.

A word about POE.  Most switches that provide POE have a fan in them.  They are little tiny fans and when they kick in, they can be, ah, disconcerting, loud, annoying.

depending on where in your house the switch resides.  That's why I use POE injectors for the few devices that require it.  YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Bart

Options
2023-01-28 18:58:17

@Icehunter 

It sounds like you have a plan for a comprehensive home network setup that includes a Fiber ONT, router, switch, patch panel, and access points. For your router, the ER7206 with an OC200 is a good choice. For your access points, the EAP-655's are a solid option.

Regarding the switch, it is important to have a switch with enough ports to accommodate all of your devices and with "active" POE to protect other devices. A 16-port switch with L2 features would be ideal for your setup. Some popular options that meet these requirements include: -Cisco SG250-26P 26-Port Gigabit PoE Smart Switch -NETGEAR ProSAFE Plus GS116Ev2 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switch -TP-Link TL-SG1016PE 16-Port Gigabit Smart PoE Switch

I would recommend researching these options on similar apk and compare the features and pricing to see which one best suits your needs. Additionally, you can also consult with network administrator or IT professional for the best setup for your scenario.

Options
2023-02-01 20:19:39 - last edited 2023-02-01 20:20:49

Designing a home setup for business solutions can be a great way to maximize productivity and efficiency. First, decide what tools you need for the job. Consider items such as a computer, monitor, printer, office chair, and other necessary technology. You may also want to include an ergonomic keyboard, mouse, and other items that will help you work comfortably. Once you've identified the necessary items, consider the layout of your workspace. Make sure that you have enough desk space to accommodate your equipment and that it's organized in a way that makes sense to you. Make sure that you have adequate lighting, and that everything is within easy reach. Lastly, ensure that your workspace is comfortable, as this will help you stay focused and productive. With a little bit of planning, you can create an efficient and comfortable work source that will help you get the job done.

Options
2023-03-29 07:28:08

@Icehunter 

Setting up a business at home requires careful planning and consideration of the needs of the business. To begin, you should create a plan that outlines the goals of the business, the resources needed, and the tasks that will be required. Next, you should consider the space and equipment needed to run your business. This could include computers, software, a printer, and other necessary tools. You should also consider the infrastructure needed, such as a reliable internet connection and a secure network. Finally, choose the right business solutions for your needs. This could include tax software, customer relationship management software, or accountancy software. By taking the time to plan and design your home business setup, you can ensure that your business will run efficiently and effectively.

Options
2023-04-08 06:54:47

@Icehunter 

Yes, for your setup I recommend using the Ubiquiti US-16-150W switch. This switch has 16 ports and will provide active POE so you won't need to worry about damaging any of your other devices. It also has advanced L2 features, so it will be well-suited for use in a home office.  Additionally, the switch is manageble via the UniFi Network Controller, so you can easily configure and monitor your network from one convenient location.

Options
2023-06-29 12:14:32

@Icehunter 

To design your home setup using business solutions, you can follow these steps:

1. Assess your needs: Determine the specific requirements of your home setup, considering factors such as your work or business activities, communication needs, data storage, security, and collaboration.

2. Research business solutions: Explore different business-oriented tools and software available in the market snipapk com that align with your needs. Look for solutions that offer features like remote access, file sharing, project management, and communication tools.

3. Evaluate compatibility: Ensure that the business solutions you choose are compatible with your existing devices, operating systems, and network infrastructure at home.

4. Plan your setup: Create a layout or plan that incorporates the business solutions you have selected. Consider factors like desk space, ergonomic considerations, equipment placement, and connectivity requirements.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 726

Replies: 7