Connections from Modem to Router to Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-11 22:42:55 - last edited 2022-11-12 18:59:33
Model: SG2210MP  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.3

Our RV park just had gigabit internet installed. We had 300 / 30 prior to this. After getting the gigabit I made changes from our Central AP (EAP610 Outdoor) back. The image below shows topology prior and current. The wired AP is the EAP610 Outdoor and the other are meshed EAP225 Outdoor. Prior to the switch I was getting the full 300mbps plus down. Now from the same location, with the gigabit, I am getting 250 down. I want to check to see if my connections are correct so I can rule that out my choice of wiring and then move on from there.

Starting at Modem...

Modem__TPLink Archer A7 WAN Port__SFP Port (Cat6a) on TL-SG2210MP__Port 1 on TL-SG2210MP to EAP610 Outdoor__Port 2 on TL-SG2210MP to OC200

The ethernet cables being used are the same cables.  I can hook a laptop up to the Archer Router port and get full bandwidth. It seems the slow down would apparently come in after the router. Kind of stumped and hoping someone might have a suggestion.  To test again old system I wired back to the old internet, which is still active and again I get the full 300mbps.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Connections from Modem to Router to Switch
2022-11-11 23:01:04

@RickJamesBish also would note that the switch shows 13 wired clients. I have the same total amount of users on the system but it showing about half of them as wired to the switch.

Options
2022-11-12 18:06:52

@RickJamesBish 

Those connections look fine to me and I understand that everything is actually working, but there is just a performance issue. I like that you have added a switch to the configuration so your Internet router will not have to deal with local traffic. The only thing I see that I would not do is to use the SFP on the switch since your router does not support it. There is some performance penalty in using SFP-RJ45 transceivers, but I would not expect that to be so high. Just try to connect the router to one of the RJ45 ports of the switch to eliminate that SFP transceiver. If that does not make any difference, there may be something wrong with the switch configuration or the switch hardware.  

Kris K
Options
2022-11-12 18:50:23 - last edited 2022-11-12 19:00:20

@KJK Thanks for your response. I moved the router off the SFP and it did not make a difference. Having to start somewhere. I installed CAT6a in place of other cables yesterday. I chose to eliminate my CAT6A, which is 130 feet and runs from the router to the switch, so I temporarily ran a cable between the two and got the same results. I wanted to try an eliminate anything I could so I relocated the router to the switch end of the CAT6a, so it was sitting right next to the switch. I tested speed at router and switch and got the same 500/1000 down up, which is what I got when I tested at the router when it wired directly off the modem.  So I think I can eliminate the CAT6a, Router, and Switch as the issue.

Not shown in the image is my CPE710 connected in client mode to the EAP610. The CPE710 is wired to my TPlink AX3000. Using my phone connected to the AX3000 on 5gz, I would get full ISP up/down consistently. With the gigabit it is 250 as stated previously.  So the issue would seem to be after the switch. To eliminate another CAT6a, that is run from the switch to the EAP610, I temporarily put a cable between the EAP610 and Switch. In fact the same cable that was there before we installed the CAT6a. I still get the slower download.

Nothing else changed that I have not eliminated as the problem with the exception of the ISP, which they have been extremely flakey the two days we had them. We had 20 drops yesterday evening. Speeds are suppose to be gigabit down/up but its only delivering 500/1000. So something is up with the download. I may have to wait until they fix and stabilze on their end before I can find my issue.

Options
2022-11-16 12:36:03 - last edited 2022-11-16 12:38:10

@KJK  I cannot explain why but speedtest is very inaccurate with this setup for some reason. On the old setup, as I stated, speedtest showed 350 down and when I downloaded files I saw 350mbps (a little over 40MB/s).   The new system, same location for test, speedtest shows under 300 however when I did a 32gb download, I got 630Mbps  (75MB/s). 

When wired to the router that is in the second half of the image, speedtest does not even show that much. So in short speedtest cannot be trusted.

Options